News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Oasis - Worse than HF?

Started by jck53151, March 05, 2012, 10:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jck53151

Still doing the research to build my first (budget) DC system.  Anyone have any opinions on this Oasis? 

http://www.amazon.com/Oasis-Machinery-1687A-Heavy-Collector/dp/B002UDM2HO/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_4

Very skeptical about a $280 3hp model.  I was thinking of getting rid of the ducting and bolting the motor/impeller directly to one of the plenums to make it a single bag with a Wynn cartridge on top and, OF COURSE, a Thein top hat.  One review on Amazon says a plastic impeller, another says metal.  Anyway, with the Thein attached, doesn't it make that difference moot? 

Also, with that much advertised suction, why would it come with only a 4" duct intake?

Anyway, it is tempting for (advertised) 2650 cfm and 3 hp.

Thanks for all the info on this forum!  You guyz Rock!

John

dbhost

I know your post has been ignored, sorry I just noticed it, and chances are you aren't even checking back now... But here goes in case you are looking...

#1. The 4HP Harbor Freight dust collector is no longer in the HF catalog at all.
#2. I have to assume based on what I see in the photos, that it is 3 4" inlets going through that black adapter to a 6" (maybe even 7") inlet at the impeller housing.
#3. The purchase price of that collector is appealing, but add the shipping fee in and it's not such a bargain any more.
#4. Not sure without inspecting it up close and personal, but if you are handy with metal working, you could bypass the manifold or whatever they call the assembly that connects the impeller housing to the inlet rings, and connect straight to one inlet ring, side spun so the intake faces down, and pull straight from a Thien style separator that way.

Now having said all that. The HF 2HP unit is known, and reasonably trustworthy...

If it were me, looking for 3+ HP options, I would start cruising Craigslist for used. Dual Bagger Grizzly and Delta collectors come up from time to time in the sub $250.00 range...

DarthVader

is there a impeller size listed anywhere? i didnt see one