News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Perfect container?

Started by rsquest, January 07, 2009, 09:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsquest

Phil!

I don't think that you don't like plastic containers because of the static ... am I right?  BUT! I saw a sump pump container at the BORG today that would be PERFECT!  It is the perfect size, it only costs $22, it is very rigid and it had an opening in the side that would be perfect for a window.  Should I pass on it since it is plastic?

Ray

phil (admin)

Metal is superior, as static can slightly interfere with separation.  But if the container is otherwise ideal and inexpensive, I couldn't let the fact that it is plastic be a deal breaker.

rsquest

I already have a metal trash can and I have already made the lid, so I will stick with it.  This may be a great idea for others, though!  Maybe I will use it for my next one!

Ray

socrates

Just out of curiousity, how would a plastic container perform if one was to add a small bolt through the container and then connect it to earth?

phil (admin)

Quote from: socrates on February 12, 2010, 01:02:27 AM
Just out of curiousity, how would a plastic container perform if one was to add a small bolt through the container and then connect it to earth?

Plastic containers don't work terribly.  They just don't work as well as metal.

Unfortunately, a single bolt won't do the trick.  The plastic is an ideal insulator.  So the bolt ground won't carry any distance at all.

socrates

Ah, ok then. I only asked as seeing as I can't get my hands on a container of appropriate size I was intending on making my own. I have a few peices of polycarbonate sheeting kicking around the shed, so thought about cutting a few mdf circles to size and bending the sheet around them.