20 gal. Trash Can, Side Inlet, HF Blower, 4" Duct, Filter

Started by JakesDad1, February 16, 2010, 11:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakesDad1

A year ago I talked my wife into a "real wood shop". Ever since I've known her (28 years), she has had to put up with sawdust all over the place. The first shop started in the basement (no dust control, no air filter). When we got a garage, the shop moved to one wall of the  attached garage. Again no dust control or filtration, and still lots of sawdust in the house. A year ago in September I mentioned that if I bought a pre-built shed and made it into a wood shop I could move the operation away from the house. To my surprise she said "Go for it!"  ;D

The next day I ran down to Klotter Farms and secured a 14'x20' shed. Over the next few months I installed the electrical (60 amp/220),
insulated, installed OSB walls and floor (on top of the plywood floor), painted the walls, urethaned the floor, and spent a considerable amount of time on this and other web sites investigating dust control. Having spent so much on the shop, I was looking for the low cost alternative.

Using a modified Thien Separator, a 20 gal. trash metal can, and a HF Blower I created a low cost effective DC system. Thanks Phil!

dbhost

JakesDad1

The flexible insulated duct running the exhaust from the blower to the filter is a very effective muffler. Nearly no air noise is observed.

phil (admin)

Quote from: JakesDad1 on February 17, 2010, 11:30:08 AM
The flexible insulated duct running the exhaust from the blower to the filter is a very effective muffler. Nearly no air noise is oberved.

Hehe, I was wondering that, now I don't have to ask.  :)