News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

height of top hat

Started by wannabedivin, December 24, 2013, 07:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wannabedivin

I have been searching and have not found an answer.  I am getting ready to build a top hat.  Will be using four inch connections, Penn State Industries 2.5 HP dust collector (1500 CFM)  and a 19 inch fiber barrel. 

1.  What is the optimum height of the top hat (for some reason 8 inch sticks in my mind
2.  How far should the outlet port go down inside the seperator?
3.  How far off the baffel should the inlet port be

alan m

are you builing a top inlet or side inlet.

1. the larger the height of the seperater the better (maybe there is a point at which it does harm ) but 8 (double the inlet diameter) inchs will be perfect

2.      half the diameter of the inlet from the end of the outlet to the baffel. in a double height seperater a bit more is ok

3. keep the inlet to the top of the seperater

wannabedivin

Thanks for the input.  Regarding your question, I am going to go with a side inlet.  Does that change any of the recommendations?

phil (admin)

As always Alan has the proportions correct.

tvman44

Should the 4" inlet be closer to the top of the separator?  I read someone has posted a rectangular input would be better than a round , so thinking about making the input 3" x 5" and connecting the 4" pipe to that and then would the height of the separator be better at 8" or 10" since the input would be 3"x5".  Also read someone had posted that a smaller drop slot would be better for fines, since I intend to use this top hat strictly with a scroll saw I think I will try a smaller drop slot, maybe 1/2" or 3/4" since there will never be anything but dust.  What say you experienced people?  My container is about 20"D and I will try some Formica for the wall since I have it & the only polycarb I can find is way to big and almost $100.00 and I would only need less than 1/4 of that piece. 8)

galerdude

Quote from: tvman44 on January 06, 2014, 10:04:25 AM
Should the 4" inlet be closer to the top of the separator?  I read someone has posted a rectangular input would be better than a round , so thinking about making the input 3" x 5" and connecting the 4" pipe to that and then would the height of the separator be better at 8" or 10" since the input would be 3"x5".  Also read someone had posted that a smaller drop slot would be better for fines, since I intend to use this top hat strictly with a scroll saw I think I will try a smaller drop slot, maybe 1/2" or 3/4" since there will never be anything but dust.  What say you experienced people?  My container is about 20"D and I will try some Formica for the wall since I have it & the only polycarb I can find is way to big and almost $100.00 and I would only need less than 1/4 of that piece. 8)
I have used a 3/4" slot for years with my CNC and it has served my needs well. Have also used it (top hat version) with my table saw and have had no problems. Heck, it gets rid of the saw dust and router shavings and I dump the collection tub once in awhile. Don't get no better than that does it?
Concerning your lexan/polycarbonite pricing: I know from working in the sign industry for the last 35 years that a lot of lexan goes in the garbage from drops, non re-claimable blanks, etc.. I know often times this waste is up for grabs from various sign companies that do electrically lit panels. If one was wanting to acquire some in-expensive lexan it might be worth ones time to play the game involved with getting it.