1 Hp..Will it do the job?

Started by Timtom, May 08, 2020, 11:18:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timtom

I have a very small workshop with only 240v ring main (30A) but no capacity on the board to fit a separate 16A circuit.  Would like to upgrade current extraction for small lathe, belt sander and bandsaw and would like to extract with 4" ducting and include dust separator.  However with the limitation of the currently available supply I would like to know whether a 1 Hp (750W) extractor (1000m3/hour) is going to have enough puff for the job?  Any advice gratefully received.

retired2

Well of the three tools you mentioned, only the band saw is easy to collect the dirt and dust.  The others will require moving much more air.  I'm not a fan of 1 HP blowers in a centralized DC system.  They generally only move half the air of a 1-1/2 or 2 hp system.  Put an expansion on your breaker box and get the circuits you need.  My blower runs on a 20 amp 120v circuit that is not dedicated so sometimes I am running another tool with it.  I've never tripped a breaker, but my blower is always running by the time I turn the tool on.  I have a 220 v 30 amp dedicated circuit for my thickness planer, but everything else runs on a 20 amp 120 v.