2-in-1 blower/separator?

Started by OccamsBeard, May 26, 2016, 10:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OccamsBeard

I'm in the process of designing and building a DC system, including building my own blower. It occurred to me the other day that, since I'm building the blower, I might be able to integrate the blower and separator into one piece. Instead of having an outlet pipe that extends out of the separator to the blower, the two devices could share that wall directly.

I'm thinking this might help relieve a pressure bottleneck, but it might not be worth it. Anyone have any ideas?

retired2

Quote from: OccamsBeard on May 26, 2016, 10:05:55 AM
I'm in the process of designing and building a DC system, including building my own blower. It occurred to me the other day that, since I'm building the blower, I might be able to integrate the blower and separator into one piece. Instead of having an outlet pipe that extends out of the separator to the blower, the two devices could share that wall directly.

I'm thinking this might help relieve a pressure bottleneck, but it might not be worth it. Anyone have any ideas?

I don't think the blower will perform very well, if at all.  I predict the drop slot will disrupt the pressure delta of the impeller that is required for the blower to function.

banderton

Occamsbeard, it depends on what you mean.  I think you mean you'd have 1 circular chamber that is divided into two sections.  The top section will be a conventional impeller chamber with a side outlet and the bottom section will be a conventional thien baffle separator with a side inlet and a drop slot at the bottom and a ceiling with a hole in the middle.  I think that would work ok if it made the construction simpler.  That said the impeller chamber is usually a scroll where the outer wall is following a path of larger and larger diameter as you trace around the circumference.  The separator chamber is usually circular with a constant diameter.

On the other hand, if you're talking about a single chamber that has an impeller inside and a drop slot in the bottom then I'd agree with Retired, that wouldn't work.

So, please explain more what you have in mind.

OccamsBeard

I was thinking of having the two separate chambers that just happen to share a wall.  But I hadn't thought about the scroll shape of the blower vs the circular separator. Once that's accounted for, construction likely won't be any easier. So I guess I'll stick with two separate devices, coupled closely.

Thanks for the input!

bbain

Look for Marius Hornberger on youtube, he built a small blower/Thien baffle system for his CNC machine that will give you some good ideas.