News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Just made two baffles

Started by Dane, October 14, 2008, 07:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dane

I made two of the seperator baffels recently, one for the HFDC and one for a pre-seperator for the shop vac. The one for the shop vac seperator was very easy, I had already made the lid so all I had to do was add the baffle with three 7" bolts. I am amazed at the results. Before the baffle I would put the efficiency at less than 30%, most of the sawdust found its way into the shop vac. After the baffle I would rate it at 99%, I have only sucked up about a gallon of sawdust but no visible amount made it into the shop vac. I will take some pics and add them later.
Thanks so much for sharing your idea with us. It works!!

I didn't want to remove the platic bag from the HFDC but you can see the baffle a little through it. The sawdust in the bag was all from the pipes as they "self cleared" once I cleaned the filter and reinstalled it (with the baffle this time).

boisejim

Hey, great job!  I like the hold downs on the blue barrel.  Very clever.

What did you make for the inlet to your HF DC?  It looks like an adapter to go from 5" to 6" or bigger.

I made my separator out of a 55 gal barrel so that it would collect the larger pieces prior to entering the impeller on my DC.  I used to get lots of debris collecting on the 5" input of the DC.  It has a stamped piece that looks like a very poor pre-filter for the impeller.

So the question I have is can you remove the adapter you made easily to check for obstructions?  Did your DC have some sort of obstruction in the inlet like mine?

Dane

Made that out of some scrap plywood, allows me to go with a 6" inlet to the impeller. It comes off just like the original cover, about a dozen or so screws. You can't see it in the pictures but I have the Wynn cartrige filter on the top. It was horribly plugged up and I only had about a foot of sawdust in the bag. I considered going back to the felt bags. I am sure this baffle will help with that situation. If I can get one of those 55 gal. plastic barrels I will probably make a pre-seperator for the dust collection as well, with a Thien baffle of course.

dbhost

Nice work. I am jealous as all get out that you were able to find a barrel. I can get them online, but locally they are a pain to find in quantities under 100!

Dane

The one I used for the shop vac separator is a 30 gal. found it at a yard sale of all places. I would like to find a 55 gal. plastic barrell for the actual DC pre-separator. I know plastic is not optimal because of the static "cling" but its easier to empty and deal with, besides its better than no separator at all.

dbhost

I can get 55 gallon barrels all day long here. It's the 30 gallon models that have proven to be stumpers. Maybe I misunderstood what Phil was talking about, but I thought 55 gallon was too big for a shop vac based system, so I avoid them.

You anywhere near Houston? I'd gladly trade you a 55 gallon barrel for that 30 gallon beauty...

I am not 100% sure about this, but I think that if you have the baffle in that HF DC, you don't need a pre-separator, and if you have a pre-separator, you don't need the baffle in the DC. Not sure, but I think I saw Phil post something about that...

phil (admin)

Quote from: dbhost on October 16, 2008, 06:44:09 PM
Maybe I misunderstood what Phil was talking about, but I thought 55 gallon was too big for a shop vac based system, so I avoid them.

No, you can use a 55-gallon container.  The only thing you have to keep in mind is that, as the diameter of the vessel increases, the amount of CFM needed to rotate the debris increases.  So if you're using small (1-1/4" and smaller) hoses, your separation won't be great.  If you're using 2-1/4" and larger hoses, then separation will be great.

dbhost

NOW he tels me.... ::)

Okay, so the Ridgid wet dry vac with the 2.5" hose will work fine with the 55 gallon barrel? If so I am gonna grab some fresh plywood and start on a bigger one...

phil (admin)

Yes, it will work fine.  Keep the inlet to within 1" of the side of the can and you'll get great separation rates.

dbhost

Sweet.... Too bad you don't have the dancing banana emoticon. I feel like a nanner now...