my version of the Baffle....

Started by GregC, October 11, 2008, 07:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregC

well i have been lurking here and sawmillcreek and saw Phil's Baffle design.  I have been busy lately and havn't had much time but I have a new project which was going to require use of my planer.  So....in about an hour last night I threw this together and put it on top of a new 30 gallon trash can.  I had some extra bolts, extra mdf, and pvc fittings sitting around so it only cost me a new trash can.

let me just say oh my gosh....I am using a ridgid shop vac and when I hooked up a hose it created more suction than the I have ever seen on the shop vac.  Also, after I finished, I cleaned up my shop and sucked up quite a bit of dust.  Not a sign of dust in my shop vac so I kept going and then it lost all suction power.  I was not such a happy camper but then I looked and the trash can was full and the shop vac was full so my bad.

When I finally got around to using my planer today there was not a sign of dust or chips in my shop vac.  Needless to say I am very happy with the performance right now.  When I get around to it I will try to create something more pleasing to the eye but until then I am looking for something functional and this fits the bill.

Thanks Phil.
Greg

dbhost

How do you get the vac hose to connect direct to the PVC? I find that 2" PVC is too big ID for the OD of the shop vac fittings....

GregC

dbhost,
I am actually using sewer hose from wally world.  I picked up 2 -10' sections for like $5 each.  It works just as well as more expensive hose and it slides right over the pvc fittings.  I do need to get some hose clamps to make it tight but it actually created a pretty good connection w/o hose clamps.
Greg

dbhost

Gotcha!

I never could find any suitable hose locally. Especially at Wally World... I bit the bullet on my shop vac DC setup and went with Peachtree heavy duty PVC hose. It was the least expensive, and they sold it in large quantities (box of 50 feet). Been very happy with it so far...

I like your idea though. Not real sure how you connect to the vac though... If you are using larger sewer hose, do you go back to the vac end fitting, which is bigger than the actual hose on the Ridgid, and attach there? Did you need a clamp?

Just curious how other folks solve this problem. Shop Vac Hoses are a bit of a PITA when it comes to needing non standard runs...

GregC

The sewer hose just slips right over the pvc fittings.  It is a little loose but a few wraps of tape around the pvc fitting and it is fairly snug.  I am thinking I should use some hose clamps but we'll see how it goes.  The funny thing is that since I built this my planer sounds like it is dying so maybe need to look into a new planer  :-\