News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Optimum trash can size

Started by rsquest, September 23, 2008, 04:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsquest

Phil,

I am using the 18 gal. 5 hp shop vac.  Do you think the optimum size can would be 10 gal or 20 gal?  I am thinking that it may be too strong for the 20 gal.  You already cautioned me about the 30 gal being too weak.  Now that I realized that I have the big shop vac, I am thinking that I should go with 10 gal.

Ray

phil (admin)

I wouldn't hesitate to drop-down to the 10-gallon can.  It is much stronger than a 20-gallon.  And it still holds quite a bit.

If you want something larger you can always find a steel, fiber, or plastic drum.  They're much stronger.  The plastic tends to cause problems due to static.  I have seen 20 and 30-gallon steel drums on occasion which would be ideal.

rsquest

OK, thanks.  I will pick up a 10 gallon today and start looking for some steel drums. 

I GREATLY appreciate your help.  I hope to build it this weekend.

boisejim

I saw some nice 55gal steel drums today.  I was wondering if they are to big?
I have a 2hp Grizzly DC that I will vent outdoors.
I will be using 4" inlet and 5" outlet (4" if I cannot find a 5" fitting) to the DC.

What do you think?

phil (admin)

Quote from: boisejim on September 24, 2008, 03:36:32 PM
I saw some nice 55gal steel drums today.  I was wondering if they are to big?

No, they would work great.

dbhost

Okay, I haven't come across where it says what size can to use. I have the Ridgid 12 gallon 5hp wet / dry vac. From what I read here, a 10 gallon can would be right. Or am I off base?

Just where do I find a 10 gallon can anyway? I was thinking about using a Rubbermaid 30 gallon industrial can, but from the sound of it, that would be too big...

Does metal or plastic matter? I would think Metal would be better for static reasons...

phil (admin)

In trash cans at least, the larger ones tend to collapse if the inlet gets plugged.  Plastic trash cans pucker/collapse way too easily.

I purchase my 10-gallon cans at my local Ace hardware.

BUT, you could use a steel or plastic DRUM, if you can find one.  These have much stronger sides and won't pucker or collapse.

dbhost

Okay, I am not terribly worried about filling it to the brim, I think...

My thought process would be as follows...

#1. Get my tail over to Ace Hardware, and see what they have in the way of Galvanized trash cans in the range of 10-20 gallons. Grab a 2" Sch 40 elbow, some all thread, fender washers, and some nuts. Also pick up 1/2" sanded birch ply for the disks.

#2. Replace my hole saw set that is now missing for some unknown reason. I needed a new one anyway... Make sure I have 2" through 2.5" in there...

#3. Order the 2.5" dust collection ports from Rockler, Woodcraft, or Peachtree...

#4. Build the circle cutting jig.

#5. Measure, mark, cut and trim out the circles, Cut the slot for the lower piece.

#6. Install and configure inlet and elbow. Trim where needed. It looks like Phil, you ground the side of yours out some so that the elbow runs right into the can. I am assuming this is done to maximize the cyclonic action...

#7. Mark and drill locations for spacers .

#8. Cut all thread, touch up threads where needed. Install backing nuts, fender washers, then outer nuts, and tighten.

#9. Install outlet dust collection port. as shown in Phil's photos.

#10. Empty shop vac, clean filter, connect everything up, and test.

Am I on the right track?

Todd

Since several other people asked about their DC units I will do the same.  I have the Delta 50-760 1 1/2hp DC and I am looking at adding the seperator under the unit.  I have found a 20 and 30 gallon steel cans at Ace.  Which one would you recommend?  The dimensions are as follows:

20 gallon
23" tall, 18" wide

30 gallon
26" tall, 22" wide

Area under DC inlet 32" from bottom frame to inlet.  DC is 19" wide.

Thanks

phil (admin)

Quote from: Todd on October 07, 2008, 02:51:22 PM
Since several other people asked about their DC units I will do the same.  I have the Delta 50-760 1 1/2hp DC and I am looking at adding the seperator under the unit.  I have found a 20 and 30 gallon steel cans at Ace.  Which one would you recommend?  The dimensions are as follows:

20 gallon
23" tall, 18" wide

30 gallon
26" tall, 22" wide

Area under DC inlet 32" from bottom frame to inlet.  DC is 19" wide.

Thanks

I think that most users that add one to your Delta end-up going w/ the 30-gallon can.  At least the pics I have seen would seem to indicate approx. 6" between the top of the can and the bottom of the DC.

dbhost

I am having an interesting time finding a metal trash can, in any size right now. Supplies are short due to storm recovery. I guess folks had their trash cans blow away and want to go back with metal or something...

Anyway, I am having a LOT of trouble finding 20 - 30 gallon round metal vessels, but living in the gulf coast, clean, used 55 gallon steel barrels are readily available. I would think that would be overkill though. I am basing my system on a 12 gallon Ridgid wet / dry vac.

I know the extra space would make for longer intervals between emptying, but I do NOT want to lift the weight of the drum full of sawdust.

Would I be better off waiting for a 30 gallon drum, or cutting a 55 gal drum in 2/3 (and trying to figure out how to roll the edge)?

UPDATE 10-10-08. Never mind... My neighborhood Ace Hardware got a shipment of Galvanized Trash cans in yesterday. I got a 20 gallon in my shop right now, and am cutting the disks out. The order from Peachtree is pending. I need to go back to Ace and get some long bolts as well...