Fitting 4" DC Hose to 4" Sewer and Drain PVC.

Started by dbhost, March 12, 2009, 06:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbhost

Since I never could find a definitive yes or no answer on this question, almost all were telling me either, get the reducers, or it might fit, so I had to test and let you guys know. (And anyone who is using a search engine to find the answer).

Yes virginia, you CAN get 4" Dust Collector Hose to fit onto 4" S&D pipe, and MALE fittings. It requires a little bit of patience to work the hose on there, but it works.

Tested with 4" S&D pipe, and 4" S&D Street Elbow from Lowes, and 4" DC hose from Penn State Industries.

phil (admin)

I've heard this now from a couple of sources.  But the way you say, "it can be done" kinda makes it sounds like it is about a one hour man-versus-hose show.   :D

Just how difficult is it? 

dbhost

Have you ever replaced a radiator hose on a car? This is WAY easier...

I am feeling like death on a soda cracker right now, stupid flu... As soon as I feel human again I will shoot some video of the process and put it up on Youtube for y'all.

dbhost

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24gFgttTub0

This is the first video I have ever posted to Youtube. They have not procesed it yet, and I have no idea how long that takes, but here is a video of me being sick as a dog trying to show just how easy the fit is...

Mind you, I have ONLY tested with PSI hose, another vendor's hose may fit differently...

bennybmn

I've heard guys have been successfull in shrinking the end of a PVC pipe by heating it with a torch or heat gun, then slip a hose clamp over it and tighten it down. Haven't done it yet myself, but...

dbhost

Okay, I just checked, it's up...

Some things to make clear.

#1. I tested with PSI D50C 4" x 50'clear PVC Dust Collection Hose. http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-D50C-Flexible-Collection/dp/B0006FKJD2/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1237250743&sr=8-8 (Not going to comment about the quality of this hose other than to say, ooops...)

#2. I tested with standard PVC Sewer and drain pipe, and sewer and drain street elbow with the same results... I don't have a link, but we are talking about the thin wall stuff with the black liner inside.

#3. I did NOTHING other than what you see in the video. I simply worked the hose onto the pipe, and onto the street elbow to check fittment.

#4. I do NOT currently have a hose clamp big enough to clamp it down. (The ones I got from Lowes are too small). I will be ordering them this Friday...

Unless you are trying to hook your DC hose to 4" schedule 40, I do not see a need to shrink the pipe. However other manufacturers hose may be smaller in diameter than the PSI stuff... I don't know... Can anyone else provide a report on various vendors hose? I may end up going with hose from Peachtree since this PSI stuff leaves a LOT to be desired...

bennybmn

JimD

I prefer to put flex 4 inch hose into the female end of 4" thin wall outside drain pipe.  Each piece of pipe has a female end so it can be connected to another piece without fittings.  My flex pipe, I have a couple brands but's been too long since I bought it so I could not reliably say where I got it, fits this femaile end snugly.

Jim

dbhost

toolguy1000

dbhost..do you have a sku or product number for the drain pipe you attached the 4" PSI hose to? and where did you buy the sewer pipe?  i tried attaching the 4" hose that came with my ap400 to 4" sewer pipe from HD and the hose is too small by about 1/4".  any info would be appreciated.  thanks.

dbhost

Not sure what the SKU # for the pipe is, but it is 4" S&D, the stuff with the black liner in it, from Lowes (they were a LOT cheaper than Home Depot). There are certain standards, paticularly in sizing for PVC pipe and fittings to meet. The variation I believe is in the hose, not the pipe...

That is why I mentioned the hose I have...

The PSI Hose has to get clamped down quite a ways onto regular 4" DC fittings.

I saw  the "Superflex" hose that Peachtree Woodworking carries at the Houston Woodworking show. Same stuff.

Greg McCallister

dbhost,

This a a fyi when it comes to hose clamps.
If you are using a screw type clamp such as the ones used for radiator hoses, you can put two smaller clamps together to make one larger hose clamp. Just unscrew both all the way and put one into the other.

RockHead

I like to take the hose and insert it into a 4" pvc coupler that I had cut in half. I slip the hose in by turning it or kinda screwing it into coupler section. Then a take a tiny SM screw (1/2" fine) and screw it thru the pvc into the hose - barely protudes inside the hose so nothing catches and it is bang near bullet proof - I have a couple sections of hose that hang from ceiling off the main trunk and when I need a tool thats not tied into the DC piping already I wheel it to the drop area, slap the hose with connection onto the fitting and done. Nice tight fit at the tool too.
I used tape once - works good to but looks dumb and seems to collect gook on it. A screw or 2 seems better and don't fret a leak as the fit is nice and tight. You may not even need a screw but I yank hard on things sometimes so it's extra precaution. Cheap insurance

The coupler connecters (4") run about $1.89 at BORG so when I cut it I got 2 for under a buck apiece. They are designed to go around the 4" pvc and fit nicely around all the tool connecters I've had from Rockler, LV, WC, and the ones they sometimes already have on a tool. when you get it. And on the router table I simply used a piece of 4" pvc glues into the cabinet and slipped it over that. I guess that makes sense since that was what they were designed to be used with. LOL
No fittings are ever exactly the same in OD nor are hoses from different vendors. The coupler a hair loose on the fitting? - rough it up w/ sandpaper a bit. Snug. Hose a bit off and large - use a heat gun/blow dryer for 10 seconds to soften, stick it. Done. Under-sized - tape on end. Never had the problem but I imagine it could happen? Try getting that thing OVER a connecter --- never happen. Couplers are the answer.
A simple, very solid at the tool hook-up/disconnect that takes a real beating.

I've gone the hose to the fitting route and really like this a lot better. If a clog or other reason to remove the hose from the tool is required I can do it in 3 seconds. No strain on the ends of the hose either. Win-Win

And use the tin walled stuff - it's called #2729 or the 30xx stuff (IMO heavier than needed). Don't use the Sch 40 stuff.

** already started making them in 6" for the change over, as well as the blast gates I'll need then. Enjoy how much cheaper all these 4" things are vs the 6". It's absurd how much more things are in 6" .......