News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Introduce yourself...

Started by phil (admin), October 16, 2013, 11:57:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kerrybp

Hi, I'm an engineer by day, occasional hobbyist woodworker when I can stop over-analyzing and designing projects.  I'm currently exploring ideas on how to make an efficient separator/filter occupy as little space in my 1 car garage as possible.

retiredRay

Hi, my name is Ray. I'm retired and have been a woodworking fan for many years. I have a very small shop now and I am concerned with keeping the dust down to the barest minimum. Whatever system I decide on will have to be very compact. I am most interested in scroll sawing at this time. I found this site by accident but it looks interesting. Thanks for welcoming me aboard.

Ray

jnug

New to the forum...most all of my woodworking activity revolves around carving and most of that is hand tool carving as I prefer it to power carving. Most of my power tool activity is in initial steps taking large blocks of wood down to the sizes and shapes I need for a particular carving. So I produce a good many chips in the carving activity that I pick up with a standard shop vac arrangement and everything power for me creates dust...some of it fine to very fine dust. Currently have a 1.5HP DC setup for that and a can with a Woodstock lid as a separator.

RonP

Hello everyone,
New to the forum as a member but I've read most of the board over the last year (lurker is such an ugly word-LOL). I like working with wood, have the usual hobbyist tools and a 3 hp dust collector with double 1 micron filter cartridges. Planning to build a top hat to protect the filter cartridges.
Many thanks to Phil for the effort in running the board and the original idea and all who post their work, comments and ideas.

NVRider46

Hi everyone, I've messed around with woodworking all my life, but am getting close to retirement and about to get much more serious about it.  Was able to do an addition to our garage so I have room for a real shop - so that part was/is sweet.  The next step is to figure out what to do about dust collection.  A shop vac with a Thien separator is looking like a very logical starting point even if it turns out not to be the ultimate solution.  Haven't poked around the discussion group a lot, but have picked up other good ideas already and look forward to more.

sportflyer

Hi everyone. I just joined . Wood working is not my primary hobby. My main hobby is building and flying radio control model airplanes .My secondary hobby is Audio .   I do use various wood working tools to build them especially the larger ones.  I have several questions re the Dust separator but I cant seem to find the button to post a new topic. Tks

Rodddy

Hi There
Names Roddy  , Im in London England, we have a small workshop and have just bought a Sedwick planer thicknesser . so were trying to sort out some useful extraction  - we'd appreciate any advise - ive just bought a 45 gallon steel drum with  a medal lid and band clamp , hoping that will be a spring board for getting the cyclone up and running  - any advise much appreciated.

best rod

JonWho?

Hello, my name is Jon.
I live in Las Vegas & have a High End Car Audio shop.
We specialize in exotic vehicles, building sound quality vehicles for audiophiles, & custom fabrication.

Sawdust has always been a problem & I recently became obsessed with making our system to run as smooth & efficiently as possible.

I can post a link when I'm able.

We're running a Grizzly 1028z2 with the motor/impeller flipped on top & a baffle in a can that I stole Retired2's bellmouth idea & air straightener.

For the bellmouth I used a 6" Aeroport from a precision port.
Fires right into the 6" inlet on the 1028z2.

Russellg

Hi all,
Russell here and I am from the land down under, I have been working with timber and plastic for the past 10 to 12 years.
Up until now I have managed with a broom, dustpan and an old "shop vac" finally having completed restoration of a set of drawers and facing 3 days of dust cleanup  >:( my next project will be your dust separator.
I have looked around at suppliers and other plans and this seems to be the most compact, versatile and efficient unit around(not to mention inexpensive).
I hope to get started this week and keep you informed of the progress.

BinTO

Hi, I'm Bjorn in Toronto (BinTO) – newbie to the forum and this is my first post.

My dust collection journey started with a shop vac with predictable unsatisfactory result.  Then I invested in a Delta 50-850 with a bag filter, which also proved to be unsatisfactory.  That was followed by modifications to the Delta (installing a doughnut to support a pleated filter cartridge (Farr 0.5 micron, 99.99% efficiency).  Vastly better filtration, but filter got filled with chips and dust fairly quickly, so the search for better result continued.

Then, I came across Bill Pentz 's Cyclone site and thought about building a proper cyclone, but never got around to do it.

So here I am having decided to do the next best thing – make and install a Thien separator baffle.

Will post about that project in the Separator Lid thread.

Bjorn

Xray

My name is Doug, journeyman union carpenter [687] for 15 years.

Am looking to start a thread, don't see any options to create a new thread so ..... What gives ?

edit: Nevermind figured it out, cookie issue

rallyx99

Hi, I'm Tim. I'm not actually a woodworker at all; I make knives and am trying to learn about dust collection systems so I can build one for my grinder. My plan is to build a Thein cyclone to collect all the metal dust in my shop. I'll put a spark arrestor fore and aft of the cyclone for safety, and I'm considering building a fire suppression system into the device. I can almost hear all of you wood workers saying "this is OVERKILL!!", but trust me, metal dust fires are SCARY!

cootcraig

Quote from: phil (admin) on October 16, 2013, 11:57:34 AM
If you want to create an account so the system can keep track of new posts, etc., and you only plan on visiting once a month or every other month, just create a simple post (you can do so in this thread) introducing yourself.  That way your account will be safe from my housekeeping.

Thanks!
I am just starting a wood shop in my garage and realize dust management will be important.  I hang out on lumberjacks.com and learned of the Thien cyclone separator lid and this forum.  I'm here to learn about this.

For now I plan to get a Harbor Frieight dust collector with a cyclone separator in line.

artpolrd

I am seeking info on dust extraction.Thanks!

R.True

Hi I'm Rod, I'm a hobby guitar maker (made  to date) and as most folks here, I'm looking at improving my dust collection and found the Thien baffle idea.

Thanks for a great forum folks.