Pics of Ray Schafer's (rsquest) separator w/ side inlet

Started by phil (admin), January 11, 2009, 12:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil (admin)

These are the pics from Ray Schafter (also known as rsquest) separator with side inlet.  Looking very nice so far, can't wait for further reports.

rsquest

I REALLY wish that I had made it point the other direction!    I changed my mind about where to put it, and it now points in the wrong direction!  Oh well, I will have to figure out how to make it work in the spot where I am putting the DC.

bennybmn

Funny I was going to comment on how you seem to be the only one that spins counter clockwise!  I LOVE the side inlet idea. If I ever make a pre-separator, or help someone make one, that's what I'll suggest.

rsquest

It was much easier to make than I expected ... once I figured out how!  I spent 2 months figurin' and 2 hours doin' !

rhossack

>I REALLY wish that I had made it point the other direction!    I changed my mind about where to put it, and it now points
>in the wrong direction!  Oh well, I will have to figure out how to make it work in the spot where I am putting the DC.

I wouldn't think it would make a difference what direction the winds swirling.

Rob Cunningham

Does it matter which way the air flows? Is clockwise better than counter-clockwise for separation?

phil (admin)

Quote from: Rob Cunningham on January 14, 2009, 07:34:13 AM
Does it matter which way the air flows? Is clockwise better than counter-clockwise for separation?

Nope, it doesn't matter.  Use whichever fits your installation better.

bennybmn

Are you south of the equator? :D

I completely inverted my DC to accomodate the baffle, still works great spinning CC-wise.

rsquest

I only care what direction because of the setup in my garage.  If it was on the other side it would be up against the wall and would be easier to connect.  Oh well, it will be fine.

Well, I finished connecting my separator.  I will post pictures some time this week.  I had to buy a crimper in order to get the 5 inch ducts work.  I made a platform to put under the separator so that when I want to empty it, I just slide out the platform, the separator moves down and disconnects from the DC, and I can slide it out.  I am using 5 inch hose, which I was able to connect by using the crimper.

Seems to be working great so far.

yugami

Quote from: rsquest on January 18, 2009, 10:18:44 PM
Seems to be working great so far.

Thanks for sharing the pics.  Using those I was able to complete my trash can last night.

Now I just need to cut the recess on the baffle portion and get the 6" PVC pipe put in to the top.

BuckB

Quote from: phil (admin) on January 14, 2009, 11:35:54 AM

Nope, it doesn't matter.  Use whichever fits your installation better.

The natural flow of gravity in the northern hemisphere is clockwise. Counter clockwise in the southern.
You can prove this by observing the flow of water down a drain or when flushing a toilet. I don't know if this would have an effect on heavier chips or not, or whether it would  cause a decrease in efficiency?
You could sell the unit to someone in South America. ::)

Buck

phil (admin)

Buck, I think you're referring to the Coriolis effect.  When it comes to dust in a cyclone separator, the Coriolis effect is insignificant.

dabullseye

hey i just flushed the pot and it went counter clock wise and i live in chicago  :o

dabullseye

man there is way 2much stuff on the www but i was just checking on what buck said in his post. i know it dont make no diff which way it comes in the separator but i was  :o when i noticed it was ccw and now i know better. i started on the separator but when it came time to put in the 6" fittings it dont give me that much room to the bottom so now im looking 4a new can that is taller. i have a bigger plastic drum but after i install the 6" fittings i will end up with the volume of the trash can which i think will fill up quick when i use the planer or clean out the truck ;D. thx 4nfo