Robert Wong's can window

Started by phil (admin), January 07, 2009, 06:50:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil (admin)

Received an E-Mail from Robert Wong today with his window he has added to his can.  Seeing as I'm guilting of overfilling my can recently, I thought I'd post this here.

rjwz28

Just wanted to add that the reason I added this window is that my DC is mounted directly on top of Phil's cyclone lid to save space and it is quite heavy to lift off every time I want to check if my can is full.

Aloha,
Rob

dbhost

Robert,

Your window can brings up some questions...

#1. What is the material? I am guessing Acrylic.
#2. How did you bend the material to fit the round can?
#3. How did you get it to seal?

I would guess that you could heat the acrylic piece with a heat gun, or a really hot hair dryer to bend it to shape. And while I don't see it on yours, I think you could use clear silicone to seal it up, and pop rivets to hold it together...

Just a thought...

Greg McCallister

I will be sure to add one to my mod. Had an overfill yesterday... what a pain to clean. Great idea!
Update - Well I did it .... See pics.
Noticed while sucking up some stuff that the stuff swirls in the can but more like dropping.
Robert did you notice anything like that? The swirling is in a downward spiral - ummm like a cyclone  ::)

rsquest

Phil,
Do you think that you could email Robert Wong and ask him what material he used for his window?

Ray

rjwz28

I made my window with 1/8" Plexiglass.  I heated it  up with a small propane torch.  It wasn't hard to do.  The window is mounted with machine screws and nuts with rubber insulation.  No silicone.  Didn't need it.

Yes, I do see the chips spiraling like in a cyclone.  What would be really neat if someone could make the whole cannister out of some clear material and then we could all see how Phil's design does its thing.

Aloha,
Rob

Handidad

An idea for Robert Wong to simplify removing the cyclone bucket: in  another thread somone mentioned that they mounted the bucket on a platform. TO remove the bucket they first removed the stand and were then able to lower the bucket.

rjwz28

I don't quite understand what you are describing.  Can you elaborate and be more specific?  Any help that would make it easier instead of lifting off the whole dc unit with the baffle to empty to trash can would be welcomed.

Aloha,
Rob

TKsDust

In case anyone continues to read this thread in the future, acrylic will work for this application yet it has it's disadvantages since it is typically brittle. Cracking occurs when drilling (sharp twist angle drill bits help), can crack if you hit the window (poor impact resistance), and does not flex as easily in the thicker sheets.
A better material is polycarbonate or Lexan as a typical trade name. It is far more flexible than acrylic, you can use a thinner sheet since it has far higher impact resistance, and the window is actually more visually clear than arylic.
It is more expensive than acrylic but you can buy half the thickness as acrylic (less expensive) and it will still be stronger, last longer, and be easier to fab.

Most of the home improvemnts stores will have some under Lexan tradename, McMaster Carr, or you can try Tapplastics.com if there is a store near you or you order it online from them. Depending on how large your window is, you probably don't need more than 1/8" thick and and 1/16" may be great for most windows. There shouldn't be any need to heat form this material to the barrel. Carbide tools work best to cut it and edges can be really nice after routing but watch out for sharpness.

JakesDad1

I included this idea in my cyclone. But I used a 3 litter soda bottle for the window. It is flexible and clear. I riveted and then foil taped the edges.

I think its time to empty!!!!!! LOL ;D

Negative_Zero

Quote from: Chuck Lenz on November 15, 2010, 05:28:26 PM
Instead of trying to bend the plastic, why not make a mount for the plastic.

I would be inclined to make the window flush on the inside so that dust and chips do not pile up inside the mount and make it difficult to see.  I like JakesDad1's idea.  I am thinking that I will cut a window into the steel drum that is below my separator to create a window.

Great suggestions on this thread by all.

-Will