News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

forum idea

Started by alan m, July 05, 2012, 05:18:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

do you think this would be a great asset to the forum (edit for clarity) should there be subsection

yes ,i would like sub sections
5 (62.5%)
no , i would  not like it
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

alan m

Quote from: phil (admin) on July 08, 2012, 07:48:00 AM
Quote from: alan m on July 07, 2012, 05:41:27 PM
all of this is just my opinion .
but as usuall it is ignored  ::)

i will leave this topic as nobody cares

I always appreciate the input of others.  And I did spend time contemplating your suggestion.  I thought about other forums I've used where they do seem to break things down into many sub-categories, and realized I didn't like this so much because any sense of timeline between the categories is lost.i know what you mean about seeing ideas change and grow but that would still be there in each sub section.   I prefer that posts be in chronological orderlots of the threads are out of order because someone posted in an old thread and moved it up, and the subjects serve as a filter for people looking for what to read.

I suggest any anyone reading this forum that they would probably want to click on the "Replies/Views" column heading once or twice, which will sort subjects based on activity.  The place to start is probably the threads with lots of activity.  Once they've read a bunch of those, they can start using the search feature to narrow any areas of interest.i agree  that most will read the generic threads  and reviews or build threads. most will leave it at that  anyway.
subsections would be more for the people that are sticking around  as the info would be a lot easier to find , all pressure relief valves in one place  etc

retired2

Alan,

Let me try one more argument.  You've started eight threads in the two weeks that you've been an active member.  From what I can tell, you have not made the first cut for your separator.  I assume the reason you have started so many threads is because it follows your belief that if things are kept in like-subject discussions, they are easy to file into neatly defined categories or sub-sections.  If that is indeed your reasoning, then I think it is safe to say that you will have two dozen or more threads before you complete your build.   

Now lets assume these two dozen or more threads are spread among six or eight categories, and let's say I would like to follow your build because I am doing something similar.  If I had a choice between following a single nine page meandering thread like my own, or looking for two dozen pieces scattered among a half dozen or more categories, I know which I would choose.  There is one thread I know of here that has over 14,000 views.  If future builds were documented in small pieces in numerous places, I can't imagine any post ever again approaching that many views.

The other downside I see to your idea is that thread count is going to go up exponentially, and that will make it harder to find things due to the sheer volume, and then what has been accomplished?

alan m

Quote from: retired2 on July 08, 2012, 05:46:41 PM
Alan,

Let me try one more argument.  You've started eight threads in the two weeks that you've been an active member.  From what I can tell, you have not made the first cut for your separator.no i havent made any cuts on the dual inlet seperater , i am doing a bit of an upgrade to the electrics in there so i havent got around to it yet. hopefully i will start next week. but i have built 2 normal ones  I assume the reason you have started so many threads is because it follows your belief that if things are kept in like-subject discussions, they are easy to file into neatly defined categories or sub-sections.yes exactly  If that is indeed your reasoning, then I think it is safe to say that you will have two dozen or more threads before you complete your build.   

Now lets assume these two dozen or more threads are spread among six or eight categories, and let's say I would like to follow your build because I am doing something similar.  If I had a choice between following a single nine page meandering thread like my own, or looking for two dozen pieces scattered among a half dozen or more categories, I know which I would choose.  There is one thread I know of here that has over 14,000 views.  If future builds were documented in small pieces in numerous places, I can't imagine any post ever again approaching that many views.that is the problem with splitting everything up  but there is nothing stoping people from doing a build thread and linking to a different thread for a design detail that was thrashed out there

The other downside I see to your idea is that thread count is going to go up exponentially, and that will make it harder to find things due to the sheer volume, and then what has been accomplished?yes but if threads were in sections and the name kept relievent and on topic to a point then the search function would work better.