Using Fume extractor blower for Thien baffle?

Started by ajssbp, February 01, 2019, 05:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajssbp

Hello.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience using a fume extractor blower for the blower component of a Thien baffle system.  I currently have no real dust collection capability (except passive settling in the table saw and my shop vac) and I stumbled across a few Cincinnati fume extractors for cheap.  Looking at the specs the CFM seems lower than a comparable sized dust collector.  For example - a Cincinnati 2HP 200S dust collector says it moves ~1100 CFM, the Cincinnati 2HP 2000s Fume Extractor says it moves ~800 CFM.  I'm assuming this is due to differences in impeller design.  I'm also sure that the fume extractor impeller is not designed to take impacts like a dust collector one would, but theoretically I should be getting little to no impacts if the baffle is working correctly.

I guess my question is does it seem worth a shot to use a fume extractor blower as the blower component of a Thien baffle setup?  My guess is I'd be better off with an actual dust collector blower, but I'm not sure.  I had originally planned on buying and modifying a HF dust collector for the purpose, but if the fume extractor would work for 1/6 the cost seems like it might be worth a shot....  Thoughts?  Thanks.

retired2

CFM is only half of what you need, the other half is static pressure, and the blowers in question have very little because the application they were designed for does not need it.  Don't waste your time or money on them.

dwall174

Quote from: ajssbp on February 01, 2019, 05:53:58 AM
I had originally planned on buying and modifying a HF dust collector for the purpose,

If you were planning to modify a HF dust collector anyway, You could check to see if a replacement blower impeller will fit the fume extractor's housing?

Also double check the motors rpm! Some fume extractor's may only use a 1725 rpm motor since the static pressure doesn't need to be much.

I have a Cincinnati 2HP 200S & I'm currently in the process of upgrading it.
I'm still trying to decide between building a Thien Baffle or just adding a Cyclone to the system?

Here's a few pictures of my Cincinnati's blower section & impeller in-case you wan't to compare the two. The original impeller is 12-1/4" & given the blower housing's design, There's not much room to add a larger impeller.

Doug