News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Why go UP?

Started by WayTooLate, September 06, 2012, 12:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WayTooLate

I am considering building a separator to go under my large out-feed table for my Table Saw.  Therefore, I am trying to collapse my vertical height as much as possible.  The large sweep elbows take up too much elevation.  I am concerned that a small radius elbow will be too constrictive.  I 'could' put an engineered plenum on top, but at the least, I am looking at giving up my 6" duct diameter... 

So, after looking at this again, I am thinking "Why does the air have to go UP?"  Why can't I duct it DOWN through the center of the Baffle and then out the side of the container? 
a) The baffle isolates the rotation inside from the 'dead air' of the collection bin;
b) The 120deg section of the baffle provides ample room to duct under the baffle without being under the drop-slot. 

Obviously, taking the duct out the 'top' makes using pails, cans and drums very easy and economical to connect and use.    But since I am going under the table, I am considering building a wheeled dump cart that rolls under the separator.  This could easily have a cut-out in the end to accommodate the exiting duct...   

Am I missing something that would prevent this from working as well as the 'normal' upflow? 
I will look forward to everyone's suggestions and critiques! 
- Jim

alan m

in theory there is no reason not to  go down. it should work. .
i would be worried abou the dust falling towards the outlet rather than away from it.
the build will be a lot more complicated but it should be a fun chalange.
keep us informed on how it goes

phil (admin)

Quote from: alan m on September 07, 2012, 01:44:00 PM
in theory there is no reason not to  go down. it should work. .
i would be worried abou the dust falling towards the outlet rather than away from it.
the build will be a lot more complicated but it should be a fun chalange.
keep us informed on how it goes

I thought I had replied to this.  Agree w/ Alan here.  Down is fine.  A bit more complicated, maybe.  I can think of a few ways to do this, but each one so far has made removing the baffle (to empty the bin) a bit complicated.