News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Static Pressure?

Started by WayTooLate, February 01, 2011, 02:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WayTooLate

Has anyone made any measurements or calculations for the 'extra' load of using the separator? 
There has to be a change in the static pressure between using the separator or not... 

Practically speaking, separating the chips out of the airstream increases the the overall performance of the system so the load of the separator itself is rarely noticed.  Only passing the 'fines' and not heavier chips permits the system to operate at a lower level and still work extremely well. 

However, my woodworking shop is re-organizing and we are trying to make one 10hp DC cover as many machines as possible.  In the old layout, it handled (10) 5" ports on sanders pretty well.  However, we are hoping to enlarge some ports on some different machines.  On paper, the numbers calculate VERY close to working.  If the Separators are a net gain/load it may tip the scales. 

Any measurements or calculations anyone has made would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
- Jim

pitbull

Jim-

I can not give you real statistics, but there is definitely some loss. However, the gain is a positive.

With a 10HP unit you should be using some nice large diameter piping minimum of 8" for trunk lines. I would also recommend making a few of these separators at centralize locations in the shop if it is big enough to warrant. Then you do not have long duct runs that eventually terminate into a separator. It would be more efficient.

WayTooLate

FYI:  My main trunk line is 12".  Most drops are 7".  Then, I split down to 5" & 4" to fit to machines... 

So far, I am running everything wide open to keep the velocity high in the trunk line.  If I add more than one more shaper, I may have to start using blast gates on a few end runs...

But for now, my trunk line velocity remains above 4000fpm - so everything stays clear...