New Build - where did I goof

Started by jgt1942, September 12, 2013, 11:53:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgt1942

I just completed my build, turned it on and the collection bag (item 3 in the image) is sucked up and blocks the baffle (item 4 in the image). I started with  Grizzly 2hp unit (see the image below) and wanted to get better dust collection. The input port to the baffle is 4 inches and the input to the Grizzly impeller unit (item 7 in the image) is almost 6". The pipe connecting the Grizzly impeller to the baffle extends down into the baffle about 1 1/2". The distance between the floor of the baffle and the top is 5" (this is the inside measurement).
As you can see in the Grizzly image the original input was a double Y connector.

jgt1942

Ops only one image was attached, here is the other image.

alan m

your problem is that there is a vacum on the bag. the bag is so light that it will suck it up.
you could weigh it down but thats a neusence.
i would change to a solid container

tvman44

Alan is right you need a rigid container for #3. :)

jgt1942

Gee wiz, I'm not sure what send me down the path of my current design.  :-[ It will take me several hours to redesign the unit mainly because I currently don't have enough vertical space to insert a 32 gal Brute can to replace the bag. I could use a 20 gal Brute can but I think this would be too small.  The ID of the ring (see #4) is just over 22" thus I could insert a ring inside the #4 ring serving as a stop and providing a flat surface that the brute can would match up to providing an air seal.
I also need something to vertically lift the can up into the #4 ring, BTW the #4 ring is metal about 1/16" thick, following is my modified SketchUp adapting the ring to a Brute can.

dabullseye

phil has said in prior post try a piece of laminate that is coiled up to hold the bag open, or look into one of those plastic gizmos to hold open leaf bags or even a something that you can dream up to keep bag spread open and not puncture it, but remember it need to be removed easly when bag is full of dust

jgt1942

dabullseye - Something to force the bag open is something I can try and it would be easier than raising the Thine Top Hat and motor on the left and the bags on the right. Plus I have to build something to lift the Brute can up and ensure I have an air tight seal.  I roughly measured and I will have to raise those parts 7-12 inches. This is doable just a PITA!

dabullseye

dabullseye

this is in the up

dabullseye

this is in the down and it sits on the box around the jack so i can remove the can

tvman44

WayTooLate

JGT -
Don't give up on the 20gallon Brute just yet... 
We started with 55 gallon drums, then dropped to 32g Brutes.  Now, we use 20g Brutes and even smaller. 

Why?  With the large containers, anyone/everyone procrastinates until it is ready to overflow and it takes 2 guys and a forklift to dump it.  Now, if someone works for 2 hours, they can dump the small container by themselves at break or lunchtime.  Every individual is responsible for cleaning up their own messes.

So I would take a look at how much debris you generate at any onetime and decide if it will fit into a 20g and make life easier. 

Hope this helps!
Jim

jgt1942

dabullseye - I love the simplicity of the scissors jack!!!!

jgt1942

WayTooLate -  the use of a 20 gal Brute would be MUCH simpler for me to implement. I need to go by Lowes and pick one up and give it a try. In that I'm an old fart with a heart condition I don't want something that is too heavy. I currently use the Brute 32 gal with a big plastic bag for general trash in the shop and so far this has not created a problem for me but then again I'm not filling it with heavy stuff.

jgt1942

OK I picked up a Brute 20 gal and it just fits under the ring thus I will not be able to use the scissor jack as dabullseye  did.