Galerdude - about your top hat design

Started by Howard In Toronto, June 28, 2011, 09:11:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howard In Toronto

Hi Galerdude -

Thanks for sharing so many of your photos and the .dfx file.

I've got some questions, though. I don't know anything about CNC or CNC files, so these might be kind of primitive....

Can anyone else re-scale the file or are all the settings locked?
If so, is it as easily done in a pro environment as a hobbyist environment?
In my case, my drum's OD is roughly 19" and I use 6" hose....
Can the file be easily reworked for 3/8" bendy plywood to form the verticals rather than the plexi you used.
Can the file be altered to add another hole to register ALL THREE bottom layers of sheet goods?

Thank you Galerdude.

Howard

galerdude

Hi Galerdude -

Thanks for sharing so many of your photos and the .dfx file. **You are most welcome

I've got some questions, though. I don't know anything about CNC or CNC files, so these might be kind of primitive.... **The .dxf files were used to get the design into another program in order to generate a language that the CNC can understand. I actually designed  in Flexi-Sign (what I'm used to) and exported as a .dxf. I'm not positive but my understanding is that .dxf is a common extension in a lot of cad programs.

Can anyone else re-scale the file or are all the settings locked? **The file should not be locked and should be re-scalable.

If so, is it as easily done in a pro environment as a hobbyist environment? **Not sure what is being asked here .... I do have a copy of "Solidworks eDrawings 2010", a downloadable free cad program, that reads the file and should be totally workable.

In my case, my drum's OD is roughly 19" and I use 6" hose.... **The drum I use is also roughly 19" diameter with the inlet being 4" and the outlet being 5".

Can the file be easily reworked for 3/8" bendy plywood to form the verticals rather than the plexi you used. **This might be difficult to re-scale. The lexan I used was .167" thick and made the slot in the top piece .2" wide by .3" deep. The third piece in the sandwich that goes right on top of the baffle was designed to account for the thickness of the lexan and still allow it to rest right at the edge of the slot in the baffle. Hope that makes sense. You might need to totally re-design that part for the 3/8" ply. Also note that I went with a little narrower slot than most because I read on this forum that a narrower slot would separate more fines. If I become dis-satisfied with the separation I can easily make a new baffle and bolt it in without too much hassle.

Can the file be altered to add another hole to register ALL THREE bottom layers of sheet goods? **I would think so. When I designed it I made one master layer with all the holes, etc. and then cut and pasted to make the other layers.

Thank you Galerdude.
Howard **Again you are welcome. I hope I've answered some of your questions if not all. Please feel free to ask more and I will do my best to explain.

Thanks,
Gale