shop vac fittings and sizes

Started by havasumatt, December 29, 2012, 08:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

havasumatt

lookin for some advice. i used all 2 1/2 in. pvc for a bucket model, but it imploded. so now i'm makin one for a trash can and was wondering what size pipe to use for the elbow 90 and center pipe since the shop vac hose is 2 1/2 in. would 4 in. work better? seems like 2 1/2 in. is small for the trash can model but don't if 4 in. has negative effects going into the 2 1/2 in. hose. and if anyone has done this, did you pvc from hardware store, or fittings like from rockler? any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

phil (admin)

Are you connecting to a shop vac?

If so, then a conventional metal trash can will collapse if you accidentally plug the intake hose.

Tell us more about what you're using as a vacuum source and we can be more helpful.

havasumatt

yeah, it goes to a shop vac, 6.5 hp contractor series. the hose from the vac is 2 1/2in. i think thats how my buckets collapsed, from gettin clogged.

havasumatt

i know a true dust collection set up is the way to go, but i'm using what i have on hand for now, being the shop vac

Peter

Phil is right that a shop vac will collapse a metal garbage can. I reinforced mine by screwing on some external ribs: two rings of plywood at third points, vertically. I didn't seal the holes made by the screws, and the system works just fine now. I.e.: it gets all the big chunks, still, and 90% of the fines, but the can doesn't collapse. My guess is you probably don't need all the punctures I wound up with, but some relief in case of a plug isn't a bad idea.

havasumatt

well i ordered a vac relief valve to heed the collapsing. guess i'm goin with the 2 1/2in as well. i ordered the angled dust ports from rockler but waitin for those to come in to see what the bottom opening is for the inlet and outlet size pipe and elbow, as well as what size that relief valve is. got that from cent. vac. factory, says it can be installed vertical or horizontal, wonder about diagonally since those dust ports are angled. unless i put that valve right off the shopvac. and just read about the gap under the elbow and bottom baffle plate. didn't know about that. much appreciation for this forum!