55 gallon drum build converted to 5" side inlet, and plumbing to ductwork starte

Started by dbhost, October 22, 2010, 09:43:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbhost

Well, I have the side inlet working. It's not pretty, but it works...

The hole where the 4" inlet was is now covered by that heavy aluminum HVAC tape, which seals strong, and should resist abrasion. IF I need to, I will lay my hands on some plastic sheeting, cut a plug, and epoxy it in to place. I am just trying to get functional now...

You may notice that I left the clamping ring off. Since the inlet was so high up, the clamp actually would crush the tube. I am finding no problems with it yet...

Since I really didn't know what I was doing when I cut the hole, it ended up a bit oversized, the excess gap is taken up with generous amounts of clear silicone caulk... Thank goodness this stuff is cheap...

The flex hose from the DC to the lid is making an interesting connection. The crimps in the pipe tend to make it taper, so the hose wants to slide down. For now, the hose is connected with 2 screws, and a touch of silicone to seal it up.

I have started on the plumbing as well. Since the Wye basically has to duck behind a large shelving unit that is temporarily slid out of the way, no blast gates here yet... We just make one branch go up overhead to service the workbench, and Shark Guard, and then the other go down the wall to service the rest of the shop.

Now immediately following the side branch pipe exiting from behind the water softener / reverse osmosis system, I have placed in line the blast gate to close off that line, and then the first of the Wye fittings. You can see that I am making plentiful use of the heavy aluminum HVAC tape here but, at the joints where you do not see the tape, I have sealed and secured the joint with clear silicone caulk. It makes for a strong, leak free, but still relatively easy to separate joint, plus I don't have to drill any holes for screws that way...

And yes my walls need paint, badly... But that isn't important at this point. I need to get the DC network finished, insulation blown into the wall cavities, and then get that electric run to power up everything...