6" pipe and hose with Harbor Freight Dust Collector.

Started by sailfl, April 27, 2009, 05:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailfl

I am planning to use 6" pipe and flexiable hose with my HF Dust Collector.  Will I have a problem?

I am using it with my CNC machine.

Greg McCallister

Hummm,
No one has replied. Would of figured someone would have by now but then again not to many are running 6" duct.
For starters sailfl, you will need to increase the size of the inlet of your DC to 6" as it is currently only 5" which will require making a plate.
If you do not wish to do this many have had some pretty good results with 5" and if you are running it directly to a machine it should be really sufficient for just one machine hookup.
5" flex is a oddity but is available at Wynn Environmental and other locations - mostly online unless you have something local.

Phil, have not seen you post in a while - everything OK on your end?

phil (admin)

Quote from: Greg McCallister on April 29, 2009, 03:50:49 PM
Phil, have not seen you post in a while - everything OK on your end?

Hi Greg!

Yep, but I've been a little overwhelmed at work.  I do check in and read stuff, but I often find the answers left by you guys are as good/better than what I'd leave (thanks, BTW  ;D).

Work should start subsiding in a week or so as we're currently digesting a larger order and then things will start to get back to normal.

coaster

is the inlet on the HF DC actually 5"? i thought it stated it was 4 3/8" but i could be wrong. i'm getting close to running pipe in my shop and i am really seriously considering 5". if the 5" can easily hook up to the inlet then that would almost seal the deal.

Greg McCallister

Well it depends on which HF DC you have. If it is the 2hp version, then yes, that is 5" duct that is reduced down to two 4" ducts with a Y. The smaller portable ones I believe use 4".

Greg McCallister

Phil,
Glad to see you are hopefully making money instead of an illness or family emergency   :).
I myself have been busy as all get out but the news today with Chrysler filing bankruptcy, things my change in a hurry.
With today's job market, having a job seems to be a luxury.

Take care

Greg

coaster

i measured the inlet and by my naked eye it is approx 4 7/8" OD so 5" should work.

interestingly i ran the DC with no hose attached with and without the 4" Y adapter and without the adapter it really pulls in a lot more air. the dust in the clear bag became violent without the adapter!

i don't think a 4" system is a wise choice for my shop as my three main goals are a table saw, floor sweep and downdraft table. i need to sit down and rethink this.