Alternate application of the TCS?

Started by bigfredlab, June 22, 2015, 03:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigfredlab

I have been looking for ways to "catch" the lint and dust from the dryer in my house.  Whoever put in the lint vent had it dump into the garage.

Would the Thien Cyclone Separator work for this application?  (blow rather than suck?)

Schreck

Yes.
Would it work on lint?  not sure.
The bigger question is do you really want to dump the water vapor from drying your laundry into your garage?  Generally you want that moisture to be dumped outdoors, not into the garage, basement, or the attic.  I would vent the dryer to the exterior.

bigfredlab

Quote from: Schreck on June 23, 2015, 07:50:32 AM
The bigger question is do you really want to dump the water vapor from drying your laundry into your garage?  Generally you want that moisture to be dumped outdoors, not into the garage, basement, or the attic.  I would vent the dryer to the exterior.

The vent system was installed before we purchased the house.  Our Laundry room is in the center rear of the garage, so its a pretty decent distance to the outside. 

phil (admin)

The dryer has a blower wheel and the laws of fluid dynamics apply.  Adding a separator may put enough of a hit on the airflow (because or resistance) that the clothes dry more slowly.

And I'm not sure it will get the lint.

I'd say it doesn't look promising.