Setting up my first DC system

Started by Philcav7, November 29, 2021, 09:01:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philcav7

Hello all!

I?ve been using a grizzly 1028z 1.5HP dust collector (11? propeller) with 4? flex running directly to the tools. I?m over the amount of dust escaping the bags into the air and the hassle of moving duct from tool to tool so I?ve been researching doing permanent ducts/gates and a separator.

My first thought was to buy a 6? SDD Xl and throw it on my 55g fiber bin (roughly 21? diameter). I quickly realized that I don?t have the ceiling height to accommodate this configuration. I would have to either go down to the 5? model or shrink my dust bin. I stumbled across this site in my quest for a lower profile solution.

My setup will be simple: DC & separator in the corner (directly behind/beside my TS side table) with a straight run of pipe running approx 14 feet along the wall. There will be 3 drops: cabinet saw, router table, planer. Table saw get the majority of the use in my shop so small/mid sized is the bulk of my dust.

I?ve noticed many have adopted to the top hat design over the original fittings on a flat lid. Does this offer marked improvement over the original concept? I can see benefits in having air go straight into the side, rather than using an elbow. The rectangle inlet flow also makes sense to me. Has anyone done A vs. B testing on these designs using a constant size of ducting?

On my simple layout/short duct runs, would 6? be advisable or should I just stick with 5??

For a original lid  design, has anyone tried a vertical deflection baffle (with a radius) installed between the inlet and the enter outlet to guide air and reduce bypass? It seems like a good idea, but is the additional resistance too counterproductive?

dbhost

I am digging into this very question. External separators are known to cause CFM drop.  Your DC is outfitted with I believe a 5" inlet. I would be looking into an in the inlet ring separator, either a Thien baffle, or a Neutral Vane, if not both.

I know the Thien baffle does radically reduce the amount of fine dust that get to the filter and in turn cause the filter to cake up.

You will also benefit significantly by replacing the bag type filter with a cartridge filter. I believe Grizzly at least used to offer a nice .5 micron nano filter with a built in beater to help clean it out...

TX_Lenador

Here is a link ( http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1054.msg5677#msg5677 ) to my setup which uses a Grizzly 1029z dust collector. There are a series of photos attached and the last one is the completed setup. I used the ring from the DC for the separator. It has been working well as I capture a large amount of fines in the trash can. I know some are getting by (which is inevitable) by what collects in the dust box below the filter when I back blow the filter. I don't know what effect the tapered ring in the DC ring has on the separation process but it don't think it is harming it in any way. At best it may be forcing more of the fines and larger items to the perimeter of the ring and into the drop slot.

All duct work out to the machines is 5" spiral wound pipe. At each machine there is a 5" blast gate and then reduces to 4" for connection to the machine. Further reduction is done from there for smaller ports. The only issue I have encountered when using a small port tool is I have to open another BG part way or else the trash can will collapse and result in loss of suction and in one cause dust started everywhere.

This link ( http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1402.msg8446#msg8446 ) takes you to my post on the automation I have added, if interested.