6" inlet design with a small diameter separator?

Started by sploo, August 13, 2015, 06:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phil (admin)

Quote from: sploo on September 16, 2015, 05:07:28 PM
I think the idea was that it, also with the inlet being angled down slightly, encourages the dust to spiral down (i.e. more than just gravity) and so less of it ends up getting pulled into the outlet. Easy to say, time consuming to test, and probably very hard to perfect (assuming it's actually a benefit at all).

Reading through the "Here's the plans" thread, I see that a 1.25" wide slot in the baffle was mentioned for a 20" diameter separator, as well as some thoughts that a smooth surface on the baffle helps. I was wondering if a thin sheet for the baffle would also be beneficial - i.e. perhaps a 1/4" thick sheet of smooth plastic, rather than a 3/4" sheet of MDF or ply?

If you watch and of the youtube videos of clear-sided separators, you'll see that the debris actually falls quite quickly.

BernardNaish

Here in UK it is possible to buy second hand steel bins that have been used to ship fruit juices. Sometimes they have small holes in the bottom to allow the plastic liners to be installed but these are easily sealed.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/J-S-Simcox-Ltd?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

sploo

Quote from: phil (admin) on September 17, 2015, 08:50:06 AMIf you watch and of the youtube videos of clear-sided separators, you'll see that the debris actually falls quite quickly.

Indeed. I'm just assuming there must be reasons why Pentz added the protruding inlet. I did read it all some time ago, so I guess I should check again.

Quote from: BernardNaish on September 17, 2015, 08:57:17 AM
Here in UK it is possible to buy second hand steel bins that have been used to ship fruit juices. Sometimes they have small holes in the bottom to allow the plastic liners to be installed but these are easily sealed.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/J-S-Simcox-Ltd?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I'm worried that 60cm might be a bit too big, and, for various logistics reasons, I'm going to have to lift the drum/can I use so I don't want something too large - otherwise I'm going to struggle with it when it gets a bit full. I've found a 120 litre plastic container  that's claimed to be around 50cm dia and 74cm tall, so I'm making enquiries about that.