News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Huskee Trash Can Idea

Started by NewCreationWoodworks, March 27, 2020, 11:44:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewCreationWoodworks

Hey Guys. I went ahead and purchased this translucent trash can from the webstaurant store (Model CL3200). When I had a good look inside I could see that there was a 1" shelf six inches below the top that went all the way around except for where the handles were (see attached photo).

My thought is that I could place the bottom of the Thien baffle on that shelf -- I just need to figure out what to do with the handles. I really do love the idea of everything being inside the top six inches of the trash can.

My apologies for the severe lack of drawing ability, but I wanted to at least attempt to show you a rough sketch of what I was thinking the bottom of the Thien baffle would look like (see drawing).

Please pass along any thoughts you might have on this. Thanks!

TX_Lenador

If you look at the original design the drop slot is along the outside edge to allow the dust to drop into the bin below. Placing the drop slot away from the edge will result in the dust collecting along the top of the baffle plate and not falling into the bin. Most likely it will end up being sucked up by the outlet of the separator. if you move the drop slot to the outside edge then the handles are in the way and will create turbulence that again will decrease the effectiveness of the separator. I don't know if it might be possible to cut away the handles on the inside as this might result in a hole in the can which you would need to patch. This might still cause too much turbulence. The last thing to look at is the area below the drop slot. This should also be at least flush with the outside edge of the drop slot or further out. If you move the drop slot to the outside edge of the can with the baffle resting on the ridge then the ridge below the slot could also result in a drop in efficiency as it wouldn't allow the dust to freely drop into the can. There are several on this site that have used the same can and they may be able to give you a better idea on how to best setup the separator. I used the standard gray Brute can for my setup with the separator on top and it works well.

alan m

I think there is too many opportunities for it not to work. you want everything nice and smooth to reduce turbulence. I don't like this type of seperater. I rather the top hat design. it works a lot better and allows more scope to create everything right instead of adapting to the weird shapes of the can

NewCreationWoodworks

Thanks for the insightful trash talk, Guys. The idea of using the "shelf" is definitely going to the circular file! I will return to the original plant and build the more conventional top-hat unit and make sure it has a good seal on the top of the CL3200. At least the receptacle is translucent and will provide a good visual as to when it needs to be emptied. That much is clear!

Daniel3105

I also thought about using this clear trash can. Have you finished your build and is the can strong enough to withstand  the suction?
I have an old Jet DC 650 that i want to flip upside down and mount it into a pipe clamp stand.  So the clamps would be on the outside of the DC and trash can/ baffle.

NewCreationWoodworks

Not yet Daniel! Believe it or not, I've probably spent the last three months building an entirely different DC solution for my Delta which will service my Jet Table Saw and miter saw. This has been a HUGE project for me, but I am confident that when I do take on the Thien baffle for the HFT wall-mounted motor, it will turn out famously. That one will service my drill press, band saw and router table. I promise to post lots of pictures very soon!