News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

6" Top Hat Build

Started by Sthutch, April 02, 2018, 07:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sthutch

Quote from: dabullseye on April 18, 2018, 06:55:08 AM
i see you have a rod inside the chamber that supports the drop slot baffle.if you are going to hook this up to a planer or jointer Id keep an eye on that rod and make sure it don't catch shavings and start a birds nest.i don't know what you used for the baffle but most people use 1/4" hardboard and don't use a support. if your rod is a threaded rod i would cover it with a piece of pvc or something that is really smooth and debur the cut edges.

Thanks for the tip!  I will keep an eye on it.  I used 1/4" hardboard with a whiteboard coating because it was really smooth.  Underneath, I reinforced it with a piece of 3/8" OSB scrap that I had. 

By the way, where is a good place to post a video too?

Sthutch

It's been a few days, but my system is working well. I now have it in its permanent position. Still have a couple of minor tweeks to go.  I used it with my 16x32 drum sander and it worked much better than I thought and hoped it would.  I think that my old shop vac will last a lot longer know, lol!

Once again, thanks to all who commented and offered suggestions.!

Sthutch

Sthutch

Well I had some time tonight so I added my "air straighteners" and we will see how they work.  They are only 3" long.  I made them short since I wondered if I added another set off set from the first if it would make any difference.  I wondered this because Steamngn commented in another post about using two honeycomb baffles that were offset from one another.  Any thoughts on this?

These baffles are placed in a 5" pipe.  I am waiting for some 6" flexible hose.  When it comes in I will be able to increase the exhaust side of the Top Hat to 6".

When it ran I didn't really notice any difference in the sound.  It certainly makes noise the is much more tolerable than my old shopvac, but it does have a higher pitch than I like.  I am wondering if this is more of a result the type and size of hose that I am using.