News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

confused

Started by dabullseye, January 20, 2009, 09:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dabullseye

i want to build one of the baffles in a can to work with my delta 50-850
but i also want to replace all my 4" pvc duct with 6" sch20 pvc as close to the machine as i can get and then run 4" to the tool. i cant find an adapter to replace the 2 4"y's at the housing on the DC. is there such a beast or do i need to make one. if i were to use a large white plastic drum (maybe 55 gal.) with 6" going in on the side of can and 6" coming out from the ctr of lid, do i still keep the 1.125 gap between the can and baffle or do i need to change the size and make it a little wider. i still have my metal trash can that i was using with a woodstock lid (which is a joke) or should i make a lid with 6" holes and use the trash can (which is kinda on the small size). since there is lots of snow on the ground rt now would be the best time to redo the shop so i can enjoy it in the summer.

digger

Great question. I have the same, but with a 5" hose.
Also, what is the distabce between the lid and baffle, and does it
change depending on the size of dust collector and or trash can.
I want to build one for my shop vac and one for the 50-760.

Thanks

phil (admin)

Dabullseye, does your DC have a wye on the inlet with two 4" ports?  If you pull that off, what is under it?  If you can't remove it, you'll probably have to make something.

Digger, the distance from the top to the baffle just has to be large enough to accommodate the inlet.

mailalan

Phil,
I am also curious about the same question as digger....if I use 5" hoses should the cutout around the edge of the baffle still be 1.125 inches from the edge of the can? And what should the distance from the baffle to the lid be?

I'm going to use a 5" side entry on a 30 gallon trash can with an HF dust collector.

- Alan

phil (admin)

Quote from: mailalan on January 21, 2009, 08:45:56 AM
Phil,
I am also curious about the same question as digger....if I use 5" hoses should the cutout around the edge of the baffle still be 1.125 inches from the edge of the can? And what should the distance from the baffle to the lid be?

I'm going to use a 5" side entry on a 30 gallon trash can with an HF dust collector.

- Alan

The cutout it still 1.125".  The baffle is spaced 1/2 to 1" below the inlet elbow.

dabullseye

now im really screwed up.   i took pic of the hub which has a removable double 4" Wye which goes to a 6" flange x 1.3125 but in the middle of that flange there is a 4" hole (DAh go figure dumb engineers ) but it is only spot welded on in 6 places so the whole assy would need to b removed to get rid of welds and cause no leaks. i tried to post pics but the file was to big. how do i resize my files so i can do a show and tell >:(

phil (admin)

On many cameras you can set (in the menu) a lower resolution.

Or you can download an image resizer.  Here is one:

http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=208#comments

dabullseye

lets try this

phil (admin)

I see what you mean now.  I'm not sure how I'd address that.  I may be inclined to remove that entire outer assembly and make a new one from plywood with the desired inlet size.  That way I could always reinstall the original if I decided to re-purpose and sell the unit.

dabullseye

its no problem to remove the 6 spot weld that hold that 4" ring in place and if there was going to b a resale i could just use a few sheet metal screws to reattach the plate.
so what i would do is screw the plate to the hub first and then work on removing the spot welds since the weld are on the outside of the 6" hub where the double 4" wye was attached i should be able to use some minnies (metal stud screws) and should have no problem with screws hitting the impeller since that area is raised up already to allow screw clearance for the 4" wye screws.
   if i were to go with a bigger can such as that white can i have would it be better than my 30 gal metal can. i can ground the trash can but i dont think i can really ground the plastic can plus the plastic can is bigger in the middle and smaller on the ends. dave

phil (admin)

So it looks like you already did it.  Just drill 'em out?

dabullseye

yep i just drilled through spot weld with the mini screw that is a self tapper then i got lucky on 4 of the holes and the other 2 i had to pop with a screwdriver and a BFH  ;D. now i have to find out which is better the big plastic can or the 30 gal trash can ??? ??? ???. oh when i opened the housing there was buildup on the impeller so i also cleaned that up so now i should get max sucking when this is all over and done with. dave