Table saw dust collection.

Started by Dougp28704, January 25, 2012, 06:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougp28704

I am curious to how you guys pick up dust at the table saw. Cabnet saws are enclossed with a dust port. But I have a contractor's saw.

RonS

Doug
Here is an artical from Fine Woodworking Mag that has some very good Ideas on how to improve the dust collection from Table Saws. 

Ron

galerdude

Quote from: RonS on January 26, 2012, 08:07:14 PM
Doug
Here is an artical from Fine Woodworking Mag that has some very good Ideas on how to improve the dust collection from Table Saws. 

Ron

Ron, I am very appreciative of you posting and sharing this pdf article!

Thank You,
Gale

Dougp28704

Thanks Ron. I like the idea of the magnet as an adjustable way to close off the slot on the angle crank.

Side note, the article states this: ?This system requires a dust collector rated at a minimum of
1,100 cubic feet per minute (cfm).?

Again I am wondering if that means real cfm or what the manufacturer says it is. Harbor Freight claims 1500, but I guess it?s less than half of that in reality.

Rick T

davidrn

I don't have a contractors saw, but I like that "boot".
I have a 15 year old Grizzly cabinet makers saw, and the motor was not enclosed. I ended up building a box extension, inside my extension table, and then put a 6" hole for the dust piping in the end. It did require that I give up the shelf space under the saw, but it seems to work fine. I also taped up the small door on the left side of the saw, that way air flows downward thru the blade area.

rjhanby

Has anyone installed and tried one of thee boots yet? I've got one on the shop and haven't made time to finish "dust proofing" my saw yet...

Quote from: davidrn on February 05, 2012, 07:15:11 AM
I have a 15 year old Grizzly cabinet makers saw, and the motor was not enclosed. I ended up building a box extension, inside my extension table, and then put a 6" hole for the dust piping in the end. It did require that I give up the shelf space under the saw, but it seems to work fine. I also taped up the small door on the left side of the saw, that way air flows downward thru the blade area.

Rick T

I think they were pretty common a number of years ago when the importance of dust collection was just being realized.

Quote from: rjhanby on February 06, 2012, 11:43:09 AM
Has anyone installed and tried one of thee boots yet? I've got one on the shop and haven't made time to finish "dust proofing" my saw yet...

Quote from: davidrn on February 05, 2012, 07:15:11 AM

Rick T

Doug, you may be interested in this modified under-saw hood as well. A simple and effective way to collect and remove saw dust. Look here https://sites.google.com/site/sawsuckerproject/home

retrowood

One of the Woodworking magazines did something like this about 7-8 years ago although used the natural angle of the legs to secure/guide a angled enclosure, it looked pretty efficient to me although I feel the addition of sealant at all other openings would be required to maintain your air velocity to help your D/C or Vac pull the best.

Retrowood

bbain

Quote from: RonS on January 26, 2012, 08:07:14 PM
Doug

Ron
Thanks for that, have been working on setting up better collection on my contractor saw.

Upnorth

After trying various hoods and bags I decided to bite the bullet and convert my General contractor saw. Great stability, storage space and A1 dust collection.
http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=512.0

Bulldog8

Just remember that even if you were able to collect all of the dust from below the blade, you still have to do something about the top side. I have a cabinet saw and use a zero clearance insert. This hinders the ability to collect dust from the top side of the blade. An overarm guard with dust collection is the second piece of equipment that you need to effectively collect dust at the TS. I don't have one yet, but am on the waiting list for a overhead mount shark guard.

Steve