Making a 5" side inlet 55 gallon separator, pre flight check...

Started by dbhost, July 07, 2010, 10:56:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbhost

I am going from top inlet 4" to side inlet 5", just double checking before I start cutting.

Materials.

4" S&D cap to plug off current inlet hole.
Clear silicone caulk sealant.
5" x 24" 26 gauge Snap Lock Pipe segment.
5" hose clamps
5" x 10" clear flex hose to connect from HF DC to separator.

Plans.
Pipe Joint Template http://harderwoods.com/pipetemplate.php going with the following assumptions...
My drum is 23? diameter (according to the MFG specs it is?), 90 degrees for the joint angle 23? for the diameter of the main pipe, 5? for the branch pipe, and .0276? (24 gauge for sheet metal) for branch pipe thickness, with a lateral offset of 9? since I want this inletting nearly into the side.

I will set out the template, and drill / jig saw out the hole in the drum, fine tune it with a file.

Next step is to cut the 24" Snap Lock pipe to length  (6" for the outlet port, and 18" for the inlet.

Enlarge hole for outlet port, install nipple for outlet port using clear silicone.

Remove PVC elbow, grind down / shape cap to cover hole, clear silicone it into place, set aside and let cure.

Slide inlet tube through hole, making any adjustments necessary with file, mark inlet tube for cutting, keeping enough material to fold into mounting tabs.

Drill holes in mounting tab areas for mount screws, and cut away excess, and fold over mounting tabs.

Install inlet tube , secure with sheet metal screws, seal with clear silicone, let cure.

Create orientation / alignment marks on drum and lid to keep inlet and baffle oriented correctly.

Assemble baffle / lid to drum.

Remove HF 5x4x4 Wye from dust collector.

Install 5" jumper hose from dust collector to separator.

Install 5x4x4 Wye on inlet to separator.

Install hoses, and blast gates.

Test system.

Am I on the right track?

FWIW, in the long run, I am planning on going with 5" Snap Lock pipe for the main trunk, and branching with 5x5x4 Wyes to the machine drops.