News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

5" elbow, and nipple?

Started by dbhost, July 02, 2010, 09:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbhost

I would like to convert my Thien separator to use 5" duct instead of the 4" PVC presently in use. I can figure out the straight nipple by just using a short length of 5" stove pipe, but what can I use for the elbow that won't cost body parts I don't want to lose?

Kenncraft has some 45 degree long sweep elbows that look promising, but is 45 degree input sufficient or do I need 90 deg?

I guess I *could* use this as an opportunity to side inlet, but I don't feel confident enough to chop up my drum yet...

Master53Yoda

I would just use a 5" metal adjustable elbow,  silicon the seams and it won't move or come apart.

good luck

bruegf

I used a pair of 5" adjustable elbows (less than $3 each IIRC) from menards with approx 1 ft of 5" straight pipe between them to approximate a long sweep elbow.  Easy and much cheaper, worked very well.

Fred

bruegf

Sorry didn't read carefully enough.  You're talking about the 90 elbow inside the drum - for that I'd use a 5" adjustable elbow set at 90, but my recommendation is to go side inlet.   I did it and it wasn't that difficult - just took a bit of patience. 

I've cut up 2 4x8 sheets of plywood and a bunch of solid stock since I finished my separator and I still only have about 1/2 cup of very fine dust in the DC bag.

Fred

Negative_Zero

I would go with side entry that is above the drum with the "top hat" separator.  This increases the capacity of the drum that is available for dust (separation chamber is now above the entire drum) and increases the suction by removing the drag of a few more curves (and perhaps some flexible hose), and avoids having to cut into the drum.  Every way a slightly better arrangement, except that now the blower is attached to the drum (which could make emptying the drum more difficult).

-Will

dbhost

On the nipple / side inlet versus nipple / elbow issue. I have decided that this is an excellent opportunity to go side inlet and eliminate 2 of the unnecessary bends in the line. I have the template printed out and ready to go... Just need to line the registration marks up, fold, tape, and line it up on the barrel...

On the top hat separator issue. I am not worried about capacity using a 55 gallon drum. I have too much drum versus not enough me to lift it when it is full already... I don't want to try to lift it if it is filled with hardwood shavings and dust... Maybe if I were to use the 30 gallon galvanized trash can, but that isn't what I am doing... But could be...