News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Bellmouth

Started by Holsterguy, June 28, 2019, 04:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holsterguy

you guys think this will work ok?
6" pvc. Making a 1 1/2 or 2 height tophat, 5" inlet.

alan m

definetly better than normal pipe . probably could do with being bent to a more flat shape (90 degrees to the side) on the bottom

Holsterguy

Thats what I was wondering. When I was making it, it just kinda stopped there. Heated and pushed, didn't want to go. Didn't really want to push the issue.
Been looking for the real light stuff, think it's schedule 27, but can't find it in short pieces.

retired2

Quote from: Holsterguy on June 28, 2019, 04:35:33 PM
you guys think this will work ok?
6" pvc. Making a 1 1/2 or 2 height tophat, 5" inlet.

There is some data that I posted several times showing the benefits of all kinds of pipe end treatments.  What that data shows is that a simple flat flange on the end of a pipe achieves much of the benefit of a bellmouth.  So, I would say your end treatment is just fine, and not worth the effort of trying to make it look like a commercial bellmouth. 

I've also commented several times that folks with a small diameter separator would be better off trimming some of the bellmouth flange away so as to make it smaller and avoid bypass.  I don't recall your units dimensions, but even if you have a large enough diameter, you may still have a very good compromise with your pvc pipe. 

Holsterguy

Thanks Retired2. The tophat will be going on a 30 gal brute. Right now, about the only thing different from your build, is, I'm thinking 10" deep.