News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Drum size

Started by Holsterguy, June 22, 2019, 02:47:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holsterguy

Been planning to build a tophat for a looong time. Have almost everything together finally.
One question-how many of you have built one using a 32 gal. brute and after using it wished you would have went with the 40?
Really having a heck of a time trying to decide. The 32 sounds more attractive as far as cost and weight when full, but.... Then IIRC, didn't Retired2 say the smaller diameter pose problems with scrubbing, or am I wrong.

retired2

Quote from: Holsterguy on June 22, 2019, 02:47:54 PM
Been planning to build a tophat for a looong time. Have almost everything together finally.
One question-how many of you have built one using a 32 gal. brute and after using it wished you would have went with the 40?
Really having a heck of a time trying to decide. The 32 sounds more attractive as far as cost and weight when full, but.... Then IIRC, didn't Retired2 say the smaller diameter pose problems with scrubbing, or am I wrong.

I don't remember saying scrubbing was a problem with a 32 gal drum, but if I did it was probably in the context of the total design.  Obviously, you can't put a 6" round inlet and 8" bellmouth outlet on a 32 gal drum top hat design and not expect bypass issues.

I have a 32 gal Brute plumbed with 5" pipe and fittings, and the amount of bypass I get wouldn't  fill a coffee can after years of service.

I personally would never go to a 40 gal drum simply because of the handling I must do to dispose of the waste.

Holsterguy

Ok. My memory isn't what it used to be. It must have been the bellmouth size I was thinking of. I'm thinking about a 1 1/2 height with 5" inlet and 5" outlet using a subwoofer bellmouth. Near as I can see I'll have to use a 6" and reduce to 5" But even at that I don't think they are real big diameter.
I have the HF dc and would like to increase the impeller size maybe.

retired2

Quote from: Holsterguy on June 22, 2019, 06:58:23 PM
Ok. My memory isn't what it used to be. It must have been the bellmouth size I was thinking of. I'm thinking about a 1 1/2 height with 5" inlet and 5" outlet using a subwoofer bellmouth. Near as I can see I'll have to use a 6" and reduce to 5" But even at that I don't think they are real big diameter.
I have the HF dc and would like to increase the impeller size maybe.

Looking down from the top,if an imaginary line from the closest edge of your inlet nozzle gets too close to the OD of the bellmouth flange, you may get some bypass.  That it why a rectangular inlet is better than a round.  It keeps the incoming waste stream near the separator wall and away from the bellmouth flange.