harbor freight dust collector and 13 amp saw

Started by Brian Meyer, June 22, 2019, 02:02:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Meyer

I just got a delta 36-725 saw, which is rated at 13 amps, and looking at the 1 hp and 2 hp collectors from harbor freight.  ( both are green with induction motors ) Does anyone have this combination on a single 20 amp fuse for garage? The laundry ( washer and lights ) are on the same circuit as well. Never have blown a breaker yet, but need to design what i get with that in mind.

I have a rigid ( toolbox style ) 5 hp shop vac, rated at 9 amps, it obviously dims when starting the saw, but seems to work fine. That is 9 + 13 but thinking both are exaggerated to a degree.

Leaning toward 1 hp soley due to the amps being lower and probably a little quieter. Not really considering rewiring and adding more lines, and this table rolls outside where fine dust isn't as critical. I read its 7 amp, which matches 13 amp saw. Further its described as good if hooked right next to tool being used, so with my design it might fit.

The 2 hp is described as 20 amp, has more power, and is near the top of my budget, at this point am saving up for them, as i start building my table. Obviously this one is better, and if not for my 20 amp fuse i'd get this one.

I am probably not going for the fancier options besides these two, due to both price and amps. Rewiring to dedicated lines/ fuses isn't an option either. Planning on moving in a few years. All of what i am setting up is designed to be easy to move, so i can just roll this into truck and be up and citting again.

My goal is to make a workbench with integrated saw, router lift, thien style collector ( since it can be shorter ). I am only going to use the motor/ blower if i get the 2 hp, and going to place this under the saw. Thinking the cabinet and doors around this will reduce the noise for both saw and impeller, if i design for noise reduction.  ( I also am planning on putting my current shop vac under here, as its better for smaller tools, maybe with a twin thien collector )

Goal is to make it dedicated to a single machine as possible, this is in a bench, not in a shop so leaning towards 1 hp being doable.

Initial Design is aiming at 4" sewer pipe from thien collector on left, running length of table with y's for router, table saw, something else ( down draft maybe ) with gates on each. And the end of it will exit on the far side of table, for either other tools, or to an over hanging arm that lets me drop it over the saw / router as needed. With the 2 hp this seems simple. One question is should i reduce overarm to smaller diameter (3" or 2.5"), or leave at 4" until the end.

But if i go 1 hp, Thinking the entire back of table could be ducts, and saw video of a design which uses a single gate that routes one hose into four lines. This seems to be a lot simpler/efficient, and if i do one to under saw, one to under router, one to something i add later. Basically i think i can make it work.

The saw is a concern since it has issue with dust collection, it has a 2.5" port, but still needs another bigger under cabinet collector since that seems to not work that well. Further i want to route up and above, so it will have three intakes total, probably needing 4". This makes me lean towards the 2 hp. The two hp clearly has dual 4" lines to it, so it would be more than enough for this, the 1 hp is likely pushing it.

If it pushes my fuse too hard while running my saw, the 1 hp is better, even if its not as effective. Further a goal is to minimize noise —it just irritates wife, so the quieter one is going to be worth more in the long run, even if its small difference. Worth doing extra work to minimize noise.