Need Some Help with My First Separator

Started by turn4fun, April 20, 2010, 05:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turn4fun

Am planning to make a separator for my old 4.5 hp Shop Vac using a heavy duty Ace Hardware 10 gal. steel garbage can.  Will be using a schedule 40, 2 inch PVC elbow and a 2 inch PVC connector.  Sitting on the top will be two black ABS Woodcraft 2-1/4 inch hose connectors. 

I don't see how to get the recommended clearances above and below the elbow inside the baffle.  Perhaps I'm misunderstanding one of Phil's recommendations.  I thought he recommended around 3/4 inch clearance between the bottom of the elbow and the top of the baffle.. and.. around 1/2 inch clearance between the top of the elbow and the bottom of the cover.  It doesn't look like there's enough space between the baffle and the top to get these clearandes.  The O.D. of my 2 inch Schedule 40 PVC is 2-3/4 inches.  The recommended space between the baffle and the top is around 3 inches.  That only leaves 1/4 inch for any kind of clearance. 

Did I misunderstand this clearance thing?  When I look at pictures folks have shared, I don't think I remember seeing any clearances at all.  I'd sure appreciate any inputs on this.  Thanks.. Larry           

phil (admin)

Adjust the spacing between the top and the baffle to give you the suggested clearances around the elbow.

You can tighten the clearances (above/below elbow) up.  But if you make them too tight, then debris actually gets caught between the elbow and the baffle or the elbow and the top.

turn4fun

Thanks Phil.. It sounds like it's ok then to widen the space between the baffle and the lid to around 4 inches in order to get clearance above and below the elbow. 

Earlier posts in the Discussion Forum were recommending about 3 inches between the baffle and the lid and the earlier photos didn't seem to show much clearance above or below the elbow.  I guess it was discovered that the design worked even better by increasing this distance to more than 3 inches thus adding some clearance around the elbow so that chips wouldn't get caught.  Thanks again.. Larry         

tvman44

What should the clearance be between the elbo and the top and between the elbo and the slot baffle?

phil (admin)

Quote from: tvman44 on March 07, 2013, 11:51:51 AM
What should the clearance be between the elbo and the top and between the elbo and the slot baffle?

You need to provide enough clearance so debris won't get stuck.  1" or so should be plenty.

tvman44

I just completed my 2nd separator with 4" fittings and have 1" between the bottom of the elbow and baffle, the distance between the top and baffle is about 7".  I fitted 4" sleeves to the top and flush with the underside of the top and placed a street elbow for the inlet and a short piece of 4: pipe for the outlet extending 2" below the bottom of the top and so far it seems to work much better than my first attempt.  This one is built on a 30 gal plastic drum.  I think I may have gotten it right this time.  How does this sound?