News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Pentz Thien combo idea.

Started by yugami, December 13, 2008, 03:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yugami

I did some searching around and re-reading of Bill Pentz's design and I was wondering.  If you took a 14-15" impeller and the blower box of his design and ran that straight down into a 6" version of the Thien baffle like someone just posted. 

Couple that with maybe a 3HP motor (perhaps a little small) and output to a wynnenv Cartridge Filter we're moving some serious air.

I might have a cheaper source for a decent size Impeller for cheaper than the Jet.  Grizzly's 14 1/2" impeller for their G0671 model can be shipped for $79, add 89 for the filter and a surplus motor and you have a serious dust collector for about the price of the HF 2HP when its not on sale.

phil (admin)

It has been done.  Plenty of people have purchased blowers and used 'em with the separator, exhausting into either a cart. filter, a number of bags, or to the outdoors.

You don't need anything Pentz to do this.  Just find a good deal on a decent blower.

TheLandYacht

When you say "good deal on decent blower".  What do you mean?

Would, say, the blower from a central-ac's evaporator (that pulls the air through the coils to cool it then distribute it to the house) be sufficient?  And how do I determine what the cfm of such a monster would be?

phil (admin)

Quote from: TheLandYacht on July 23, 2009, 09:28:27 PM
When you say "good deal on decent blower".  What do you mean?

Would, say, the blower from a central-ac's evaporator (that pulls the air through the coils to cool it then distribute it to the house) be sufficient?  And how do I determine what the cfm of such a monster would be?

You don't want to use a furnace blower, but rather a DC blower.  Furnace blowers can't handle the resistance, so you want to find a blower from a DC on craigslist (for example).