Initial design for a Delta 50-720 + Thien separator

Started by chopnhack, May 06, 2010, 10:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chopnhack

Seeing how I need dust management in my soon to be "shop" I was thinking of building a Thien separator for my 50-720. Wishing that it was a 50-760..... but I can't complain getting it new on clearance at a Lowes for $100! Seeing another thread discussing how they put a 30g drum underneath really was inspiring :) The best I could fit under my existing unit is a 20g drum and that would be with removing one side support. Does anyone have experience with the 50-720? I have only assembled mine and turned it on to make sure it works, I have not even used it yet! I was wondering how critical one side support being removed would be. If I didn't remove it the best I could squeeze inside the cage would be a 10g drum. I would have to unbolt the support or remove enough screws to allow it to pivot "open" to remove the drum for emptying. For those not familiar with the stand's design, here is a pic:

The section where the hose comes out would be a side support. The thin grey side would remain, but the wider section with the hole for the hose would need to be removed to accommodate the larger drum. The 20g drum is roughly 18" wide and the interior space between the supports in ~14.5". With one side section off the center outlet would be off center by ~4". Would this be too far to work?

Also, on the baffle itself, I have noticed that some folks have use straight pipe right into the baffle while others have used angled dust ports. Are there any performance differences between them? Pros and cons of using one over the other? On the inlet does using an angled entry port plus elbow allow you to reposition the elbow so its not "blasting" the side of the drum?

phil (admin)

I don't think I'd remove that much steel.

There was someone that posted or sent a pic (can't remember where) that had moved his -760 from the cart altogether.  He had made a shelf and attached the entire thing to the wall, and piped down to a garbage can.  He said it was working great.  I'm going to look, but I know I'm not going to find the pics...

chopnhack

Thanks Phil, I would still need to keep this mobile as it doesn't have the power of the 760 model. I guess I will have to look into perhaps reconnecting the base and motor assembly in some other fashion. If I replace the bag with a wynn filter I should gain some head room and be able to increase the height of the unit. I was thinking maybe steel or aluminum angle as a replacement support in an inverted L shape. Maybe that will give me some room underneath to sneak in different size barrels, depending on what I can find locally.

rnease

VAwoodworker 84 mounted his Delta on the wall. I don't believe it was the same model, but he has excellent pics posted. I think you could do the same thing with yours that he did with his - check it out.

chopnhack

Quote from: rnease on May 09, 2010, 06:56:41 AM
VAwoodworker 84 mounted his Delta on the wall. I don't believe it was the same model, but he has excellent pics posted. I think you could do the same thing with yours that he did with his - check it out.

Thanks, I will check that out, but I still need to keep this mobile since its underpowered.
In other news, I was able to source a 30g steel open head drum with lid for $12! Local company that uses them with a liner to transport their NSF grade water softener chemical so the drum itself is clean!! I hope to pick it up today. Also found 1" angle 1/8" wall 16' for $20!

phil (admin)

Quote from: chopnhack on May 10, 2010, 08:40:09 AM
Quote from: rnease on May 09, 2010, 06:56:41 AM

Thanks, I will check that out, but I still need to keep this mobile since its underpowered.
In other news, I was able to source a 30g steel open head drum with lid for $12! Local company that uses them with a liner to transport their NSF grade water softener chemical so the drum itself is clean!! I hope to pick it up today. Also found 1" angle 1/8" wall 16' for $20!

Wow, that is a great deal!  I've been looking for a steel 30-gallon container in good shape, they're hard to come by.

chopnhack

I think I had some serious dumb luck :) LOL But, what I did was a google search of my city and state and 30g steel drum and of course the paid sites to sell you those came up, but several pages in this man's company came up and only because on one page of his site it explains how they package their good for shipping. I figured I had nothing to lose by calling him and voila! :) Also some of the steel and plastics recycler's have them but my concern was what was in them before I got them....

ajosephg

Regarding 30 gallon drums - I used to own a fast lube auto center and grease and gear lube was packaged in those.   When they were empty I gave them away. - so you might check auto service shops.

chopnhack

Another good score today, 2" angle 1/8" thick, 16' for $35. My main concern with the build is with flexing of the angle at the connection point. My thought was to perhaps drop some more legs down at the edge of the unit where the bag goes, but the rounded area for the bag is in the way. Here is a very rough sketch of what I am thinking:

chopnhack

Made my rounds today to buy some 1/4" hardboard, nuts and bolts, and some d/c fittings from woodcraft. The hardboard was smooth on one side only so I glued up two with smooth sides facing out. While that was drying I made a circle cutting jig out of a scrap remnant from the above pieces being ripped to width. I managed to cut out the circle and drop slot. Hopefully I will get some more shop time later in the week and post some more progress and some pics.

chopnhack

Well it's all done. I haven't tested it since my shop is in shambles, but it was a straight forward build. Thanks to Phil for his great design and to other contributors here as well as I gleaned a few construction tips  :D As far as I know this is the only build using a 50-720. Thanks for looking :)

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk143/jmansphotos/Woodworking/IMG_3475.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk143/jmansphotos/Woodworking/IMG_3477.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk143/jmansphotos/Woodworking/IMG_3476.jpg