Question about modifying a King Canada Dust Collector

Started by sswantee, January 14, 2010, 07:44:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sswantee

Hey there, this is my first post here, but I have been lurking for a week or so. Lots of great info here. I have a 1.5 hp King Canada Dust Collector model no. 3105c (single stage). I am thinking of modifying the collector by putting your baffle in the dust collector. I am tired of dumping chips all over my feet when I change the plastic bag. According to what I have read here the baffle should greatly reduce the amount of chips that make their way into the filter, hence reducing the chips filling my shoes at bag changes? The other question is that on another forum I saw a picture of a dust collector with the Thien Baffle which also had the top of the seperator ring closed off with a disc of mdf with a 6" pipe coming out of it to vent the fines outside the building, thus eliminating the filter completely. I am interested in this approach, but would like to know if closing off the top of the seperator ring like this will have any negative effect on airflow. I am not worried about the heat loss, and am aware I will need to supply replacement air as I am venting outside, and a blast gate to keep critters out, etc. etc. Also, if this does work , how much discharge can I expect from the outside vent-just fine dust with the occasional chip, or am I looking at much more?  Thanks in advance for any answers/suggestions.

Steve Swantee

phil (admin)

Using an 6" to 8" outlet w/ no filter will actually have a positive result, as the 6" to 8" pipe will have less resistance than a filter.

Dropout

I put a baffle in one of these. I have noticed that the baffle and the inlet to the dust collector get packed with dust and the bag stays empty.

phil (admin)

Quote from: Dropout on April 06, 2010, 11:59:27 AM
I put a baffle in one of these. I have noticed that the baffle and the inlet to the dust collector get packed with dust and the bag stays empty.

I'm not following you, what is happening?

Dropout

Hi Phil

When I take off the upper bag the dust is piled up about 8 inches high on top of the separator baffle and packed up a few inches up the sides of the perimter of the upper bag. The first time I checked there was more dust there than in the bottom of the lower bag. I`m wondering if the Lee Valley Cyclone Lid upstream of the King is killing the airflow...

phil (admin)