News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

plastic pails

Started by toolguy1000, April 17, 2009, 07:36:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toolguy1000

i know the consensus here is that metal works best as a separtor, but i happened to see this at the HD.
http://www.rcpworksmarter.com/rcp/products/detail.jsp?categoryCode=waste&subCategoryCode=waste_brute_utility&rcpNum=2620&categoryCode_subCategoryCode_rcpNum=waste_waste_brute_utility_2620
it was very substantail and i'd like to know what opinions there are about its possible suitability as a separator for a 4" DC like the delta ap400.  the 20  gal size, which i am considering, is stronger than the metal cans that HD carries. thanks.

epic

I'm considering the same can to stick a separator on.  Anyone have any experience with this can?  You can see in the picture that the can has a smaller diameter (~1-2") ~6-7" down from the top of the can, and the inside of the container near the handles "juts" in a bit (~.5"), so it's not perfectly round.  What effect would thse things have on the scrubbing action of the lid?

They've also got larger cans: 32g, 44g, and 55g sizes.  What effect would using the same shop-vac have while increasing the size of the can (and thus the size of the separator)?

phil (admin)

The shape of the Brute cans is fine.  And the larger can is fine for a shop-vac based separator (the bigger the shop vac the better, though).  But the concern is still whether they will collapse under pressure.

Has anyone tried one of these?

epic

Just tried a baffle on 32g Brute trash can and with a 3hp shopvac the can buckles with a clogged duct.  It goes back to it's original shape when the clog is removed.  The issue with the can is the mid-section isn't as rigid as the top handle section.  Is that beyond acceptable?  Should a container with one of these lids have zero give?

phil (admin)

Quote from: epic on June 04, 2009, 04:26:18 PM
Just tried a baffle on 32g Brute trash can and with a 3hp shopvac the can buckles with a clogged duct.  It goes back to it's original shape when the clog is removed.  The issue with the can is the mid-section isn't as rigid as the top handle section.  Is that beyond acceptable?  Should a container with one of these lids have zero give?

I haven't done any testing to see how well separation works while the can is collapsing.   ;D

I think it would be better to shoot for a can that doesn't buckle.

epic

Quote from: phil (admin) on June 04, 2009, 07:44:50 PM
I haven't done any testing to see how well separation works while the can is collapsing.   ;D
:o
And here I figured you'd thought of everything!   ;D

Thanks for the reply!  Looks like I'll be returning this can and getting something else.

bennybmn

Anyone tried reinforcing a can like this internally with some bracing?

epic

Quote from: bennybmn on June 09, 2009, 08:26:08 AM
Anyone tried reinforcing a can like this internally with some bracing?
It crossed my mind, but considering the cost of this can ($20-$40) + effort and cost of bracing, it might be better (read: more cost effective) to just find a more rigid container.

rfcomm2k

Are the metal trash cans less prone to collapse when clogged?
With the "corrugated" shape of the sides that is probably true, but do the corrugations affect the performance by introducing some turbulence?

phil (admin)

No, garbage cans are still prone to collapse if they are insufficiently thick.  The corrugations really are too small to interfere much.

Sparky131

Hi, new here.  Just completed my separator using the 2620 "Brute".  I wanted to use it knowing full well that it will collapse in it's purchased form.  I have lots of metal working skills and tools, so it was easy to reinforce the Brute.  2) 3" 16 ga. bands strategically placed inside produce the desired result.  I picked up the Rubbermaid 4 wheel dollie that "twist-locks" to the Brute and trailer hitched it to my model 600 Industrial ShopVac.  It drives nice, and this sucker sucks!.  I followed Phil's separator design to the letter, and it is a sweet machine.  Tip: Ridgid makes a 2 1/2" short hose that is just right between the separator and the vac.  It is called the "tag-along hose" and is available at HD.  The one thing left to do is send my "appreciation" donation to our administrator.  Oh, and thanks Phil.