Question for Phil and DC mounted baffle users...

Started by dbhost, March 31, 2009, 12:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbhost

This seems pretty straight forward, but I want to double check my head here...

My thought process here is that a separate trash can separator / baffle keeps the chunks from hitting the impeller, which is designed for that purpose anyway... And to keep the fines out of the filter.

This comes at a cost though, of air flow, and floor space.

Both of which are worth gold in my shop...

After seeing the plum crazy HF DC with the baffle set up in it, I am now fairly convinced that baffle setup in the inlet ring is probably better for my setup than a separate trash can separator, as I can REALLY use the trash can for cutoffs. (I have an overflowing Home Depot 5 gallon bucket doing that job right now).

My questions are...

#1. Does mounting in the inlet ring instead of a trash can reduce the hit on air flow? It seems like it would by eliminating the whole in and out thing of the trash can, the associated flex hose, and at least one elbow.

#2. Does separation work as well mounted this way? If so, how can you tell?

phil (admin)

(1) Yes, a baffle in the DC ring will create less of a hit than a separator.  That is because it eliminates all the resistance that comes w/ a separator (extra fittings, extra hose, extra spin inside the can).

(2) It separates great.  Obviously, large pieces still go through the impeller.  But the baffle keeps the filter clean, and that is what counts for most users.  Even users with drum sanders have told me they're surprised at how little gets to the filter.

bennybmn

To back Phil up further, I did that on my little 650 cfm Jet unit and I love it. No noticable loss whatsoever. Still pulls great.  The added benefit as you said is the filter stays cleaner.  But also, since it prevents the churning as the bag fills up, and the filter stays cleaner, that means you get the same suction all the way till the bag fills up.  Without it, it's possible that the filter could progressively clog up, and once the bag starts to fill up, that accellerates as more debris gets churned up. So basically it's reliable suction all the time.

Vaughn

Quote from: bennybmn on March 31, 2009, 08:15:29 PM
...since it prevents the churning as the bag fills up, and the filter stays cleaner, that means you get the same suction all the way till the bag fills up...
That's been my experience so far, too. I recently planed a bunch of lumber and intentionally let the bag fill until it was about a foot from the separator. Much fuller than I'd ever let it go before. The chips and dust entered the bag, spiraled down to the bottom (the top of the pile, actually), and stayed there. No swirling after the fact. When I emptied the bag, virtually no chips or dust fell out of the filter, despite a good banging from the outside. I was impressed.

bennybmn

Good to know! I have only about a quarter of a bag full since I installed the baffle. Only one real board planed, and not a whole lot of routing, which are the two big producers in my shop. Saws and sanding produce a lot of dust, but much smaller particles which just plain take longer to pile up!

toolguy1000

anyone have any advise on how to add a baffle to this DC(http://www.coastaltool.com/a/delt/ap400.htm)?  i was ready to do the separator, but if adding a baffle to the DC works better, that may be the way i go.  BTW, i built a separator for my shop vac using the thien baffle and it works g-r-e-a-t.  98-99%  of all particulate captured before the shop vac filter.  looks like it will be a while before i have to buy anymore filters and vacuum bags.

dbhost

I've not seen the AP400, but it looks a lot like the newer 50-720, I think the process *SHOULD* be the same as others like the HF, where you install it sized and etc... for the bottom of the inlet ring. Somebody might have done this to one of these DCs and be able to give you a better answer though...

With that 650 CFM rating, I wouldn't want to do ANYTHING to reduce that more than absolutely neccessary...

bennybmn

Quote from: toolguy1000 on April 06, 2009, 06:46:32 PM
anyone have any advise on how to add a baffle to this DC(http://www.coastaltool.com/a/delt/ap400.htm)?  i was ready to do the separator, but if adding a baffle to the DC works better, that may be the way i go.  BTW, i built a separator for my shop vac using the thien baffle and it works g-r-e-a-t.  98-99%  of all particulate captured before the shop vac filter.  looks like it will be a while before i have to buy anymore filters and vacuum bags.
I have a Jet DC of similar size, and the process is the same, just size it to your machine. Easy peasy.

toolguy1000

does the baffle in the  DC go under the motor or between the lower bag and the discharge from the impellor?  and a further question:  so the "choice", when using a DC, is between a separate separator or installing a baffle in the DC, which would keep the filter cleaner but subject the impellor to potentailly damaging debris.  the separate separator eliminates the possibility of damage to the impellor but is somewhat less powerful depending on the efficiency fo the separator.  have i got it right?  so what do most people prefer?

bennybmn

You are correct, a separator before the blower will probably keep the filters cleaner, and definitely reduce the amount of stuff that hits the impellor. That being said... what are you collecting? Nuts and bolts? 

I chose to do a baffle IN the DC (that is, in the metal ring or cylinder between the two bags, below the discharge of the blower), partially because I didn't have much space for a separate can, and this way draws little or no loss of suction.