Using vertical space to the best of my ability. Design help wanted.

Started by dbhost, February 24, 2009, 01:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbhost

I'm actually starting to think that the baffle in the inlet ring is sounding like a really good idea for space considerations...

JakesDad1

I'm not sure how to post pictures. I pdf'd a sketch and have attached it to this post. Hope it clarifies things a little.

PS: I found a source for 30 gal. drums for $23. I guess I'll be going that route.

dbhost

JakesDad1

The entire Thien Cyclone would reside in the top of the can.

The advantages I see are:
More stable as it can be attached to the wall
Takes less space
Allows the use of a "muffler" to reduce noise

I guess my question is: "Can I get away without a "chip bucket/bag" on the down stream side of the cyclone?"

Thanks
Rex

bennybmn

Quote from: dbhost on March 11, 2009, 08:49:16 AM
I'm actually starting to think that the baffle in the inlet ring is sounding like a really good idea for space considerations...
That's what I have and it definitely helps...

Rex I see what you're saying. Basically turning it into a true cyclone system, and taking advantage of the ring structure itself, rather than making one.

shrxfn

I like the design. The only drawback I see is mounting the motor to the lid. It would make it very heavy to take off the seperator everytime you empty it. I would possibly place the motor assembly higher up and put a straight pipe with some sort of union or those flexible rubber couplers you can get at HD or lowes that screw on to allow you to seperate the lid from the blower motor. Then you could also do a top of the lid outlet if you do not want to do an angled side one.

JakesDad1

shrxfn

Yes, that my plan. I haven't scoped out the possible connections (cyclone to blower) but assume there is some sort of "slip fitting" that will eliminate the need to lift the motor/blower.

bennybmn

What do you think, can I get away without the down-stream chip collector?

shrxfn

JakesDad, I think that with the efficiency of the separator you should be able to use just the filter. I would first do a test with just the filter attached to some flex hose to make sure that the amount of material that makes it into the filter is of an acceptable type/amount for you and if this test works then do something more permanent. With all of these great ideas floating around I can't wait until I can get a DC approved by the budgetary committee (aka the wife).

bennybmn

Quote from: JakesDad on March 12, 2009, 05:23:19 AM
shrxfn

Yes, that my plan. I haven't scoped out the possible connections (cyclone to blower) but assume there is some sort of "slip fitting" that will eliminate the need to lift the motor/blower.

bennybmn

What do you think, can I get away without the down-stream chip collector?
Only one way to find out! :D  But like others said, I bet you could. Just keep an eye on the filter.

retusaf99

Wow!  I found this site a couple months ago, and have had many of the great ideas floating around in the back of my head.  It's time to do something!

Now I'm back with a question I hope someone can answer before I start on my first Thien-baffle.  I have a Grizzly 2hp DC, 220v, (circa 1982 off Craigslist.)  As others are suggesting in this thread, I'm thinking of rotating the DC 90*, so the motor/impeller unit axis is vertical (with the motor on top) and fit the inlet directly into the top-center of the baffle/30 gal trash can.  I'd mount the motor unit to the wall with enough space underneath to slide the can in, then lift the can up as needed to dock with the  baffle.  (I haven't figured out the details on the best way to position the can, maybe just a 6" or 8" thick box would do...) 

My question, will the bearings tolerate the vertical position?

I know some units are designed with vertical motors, but I'm not familiar enough with motor design to know if this is a dumb question or not for my particular DC.  It looks just like the HF DC, but it's old enough to be made in Taiwan...

Any help appreciated.

Doug   

shrxfn

Ret, you could use a flexible plastic slip fitting with screw clamps to connect the DC to the seperator so you don't have to rais it I think if you peruse the other posts you will see a post with what I am talking about. I am not sure about the bearings but they may be sealed and should work in any position.

JakesDad1

Thanks folks for your comments. My plan is a compromise. I would like to have a full blown cyclone, I would like to have a 5 hp motor, and I would like to have 6" ducts. I can't justify it to myself, let-alone to my wife. My compromise is a 2 hp HF collector, modified to a Thien cyclone, and 4" ducts. I forgot to mention my shop is a 14'x20' shed. I have never had any type of dust control before, so this project is completely new to me. My shop vac was just used to clean-up the mess I couldn't reach with a broom.

Originally I was going to us bits and pieces from the original collector as construction parts. I have reconsidered that decision and decided to just use the blower/motor without permanent modification (in case my plan backfires). The remainder is original fabrication.

I took a piece of 4" PVC S/D pipe and fitted it (rivets and foil tape) to the side of a 20 gal. galvanized trash can. I am in the process of cutting the baffle circles. I have almost completed my ducting system but still have to create dust hoods (TS, RAS, Lath). I'll post pictures when completed.

bennybmn

For that size shop, I bet you'll be more than happy with that DC! When I'm sainding or doing something that my DC can't quite keep up with (like a jig saw in MDF yesterday) I turn on a big ol exhaust fan and open a window opposite the room from it. Clears the air pretty quick and keeps the dust moving in one direction.