DeWalt 735 Planer w/ Thien and Shop Vac?

Started by Chesapeake Bob, January 15, 2009, 05:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chesapeake Bob

OK,here is my question...
Can I run the DW735 planer using the 2 1/4 or 2 1/2" adapter that comes with the planer through the Thein separator, then on to a Home Depot 16 Gal. shop vac?  Can I do the whole thing w/ 2 1/2" hose?  What size can should I use for the separator?
Anything is better than what I've got now.  I am running 4" dryer hose off the back of the planer and out the window.  The mulch in the garden is great!
Thanks!
Chesapeake Bob

bennybmn

It's my understanding that shop vacs work OK with smaller DIA hose because they have such high static pressure, as opposed to a true DC which works better with larger DIA hose, cause it relies on airflow to capture the particles. So my gut says you'll be OK.  You could just give it a try with the shop vac alone first, that will give you an idea of the collection performance, then make your baffle/can rig to save your vac from getting clogged up so fast.

phil (admin)

See this thread:

http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=93.0

It looks like the 735 has a blower that pushes chips out.  In which case, you may be able to simply build a separator to catch the debris.  Of course, there won't be any find filter for finer dust.  If you are worried about fine dust, then the shop vac solution you mention will probably be fine, provided you use a substantial shop vac.

john matthews

I use a bag that came with a leafblower,vac and 2 feet of 2 inch vac hose,works great .