News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

very interested in this

Started by siliconbauhaus, November 26, 2007, 07:52:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siliconbauhaus

This looks good so far and I'm interested in it.

At the moment I run a shop vac with a separator lid on top of a 5 gal bucket. It's not bad but I'm sure it could be better.

phil (admin)

Quote from: siliconbauhaus on November 26, 2007, 07:52:53 PM
This looks good so far and I'm interested in it.

At the moment I run a shop vac with a separator lid on top of a 5 gal bucket. It's not bad but I'm sure it could be better.

I'm always interested in hearing about other user's levels of success w/ commercial tops.  Do you mind if I ask a few questions?

(1) What brand/size shop vac do you use?
(2) What type of top do you use?
   (a) http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=1515&filter=separator
   (b) http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=4310
(3) How much (if any) debris makes it back to the shop vac?  Is it just fines or is coarse debris, too?
(4) Does the level to which you fill the bucket before emptying affect the debris making it back to the shop vac?

siliconbauhaus

Phil,

I have a small 3hp cman vac. I have the lid form the rockler link attached to a 5gal bucket with a bit of weather stripping on the inside of the lid to try and seal it up.

I don't get any debris in the vac but it does gets full of fines. Overall it sort of does the job but not very well. I empty the bucket and vac when I think about it. I cant say as I notice any difference wether its empty or half full. The filter I use is the one below the hepa as they didnt have any hepa filters when I bought the vac. The filter gets caked with fines and is a pita to clean.

How do I go about getting the info to build one like yours? I'd rather pay you the cash than some company.

phil (admin)

Quote from: siliconbauhaus on December 11, 2007, 09:29:32 AM
Phil,

I have a small 3hp cman vac. I have the lid form the rockler link attached to a 5gal bucket with a bit of weather stripping on the inside of the lid to try and seal it up.

I don't get any debris in the vac but it does gets full of fines. Overall it sort of does the job but not very well. I empty the bucket and vac when I think about it. I cant say as I notice any difference wether its empty or half full. The filter I use is the one below the hepa as they didnt have any hepa filters when I bought the vac. The filter gets caked with fines and is a pita to clean.

How do I go about getting the info to build one like yours? I'd rather pay you the cash than some company.

I don't have any drawings done yet but there is enough information in the pictures and text here to duplicate my work.

I hope to have some drawings soon (as soon as work lightens up a little).