Design Detail of Baffle Plate

Started by Ken45140, November 26, 2007, 04:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken45140

This is a nice solution and I would like to try and make one.  If it works like you say, a PayPal donation is coming.

It is hard for me to understand the design of the baffle plate 3" down from the top.  The photo has a "glare" from the flash which washes out some detail (at least I think it does).  Can you post a sketch or take another photo at a slight angle, or give a little better word description.

Thanks for sharing....
Ken

phil (admin)

This is a photograph shot from the bottom.  I've cut an index card (to scale) showing the profile of the PVC elbow, and placed it on the bottom of the baffle so you can see its position relative to the baffle and the side of the can.

There is a small corner cut out of the elbow (reflected on my mock-up) to allow additional clearance between the side of the can and the elbow.

I'm working on a SketchUp model which will hopefully help more.

Ken45140

Thanks much for the new picture.  Very clear and the profile of the elbow is helpful.  The detail is so good I just have to ask: what is the wingnut (and its bolt) doing?  I can see nothing in the side photo on your main web page.

phil (admin)

Quote from: Ken45140 on November 29, 2007, 06:44:43 AM
Thanks much for the new picture.  Very clear and the profile of the elbow is helpful.  The detail is so good I just have to ask: what is the wingnut (and its bolt) doing?  I can see nothing in the side photo on your main web page.

;D

The wingnut (and machine screw it is connected to) cover the 1/4" pivot hole my circle making jig left behind.  I don't want to leave any open holes directly under the vortex finder (output) tube.  It is unlikely that a 1/4" hole would pass much dust, but If you examine the picture you'll see there is plenty of sawdust on the bottom of the baffle in that spot.  Without it, some of that dust may sneak back to the shop vac.

Ken45140

Great, thanks.  I suspected as much.

The new pictures are really very good and reveal a lot more detail.  Good job.

Ken

knauftj

Phil,

This looks like a great simple design for the small user.  I have a basement workshop and due to space limitations a shop-vac works best for me.  I have a few questions on the details of the baffle as well as the garbage can.  On the baffle what size/type of pvc fitting did you use.  Is it a 2 1/2 inch 90 degree elbow?  On the garbage can I was wondering what the diameter is.  I'm having problems finding steel garbage cans in my area.  I live near you (Madison) and we have mandatory recycling with required plastic garbage cans.  I'm thinking of trying a heavy duty fiber drum since those I can find in all sizes from 1 gallon - 75 gallon.  They also have a steel top that has a locking band included in the construction.  Any thoughts on using a fiber drum?

Regards,

Jon
Madison, WI

phil (admin)

Quote from: knauftj on December 09, 2007, 03:34:57 PM
Phil,

This looks like a great simple design for the small user.  I have a basement workshop and due to space limitations a shop-vac works best for me.  I have a few questions on the details of the baffle as well as the garbage can.  On the baffle what size/type of pvc fitting did you use.  Is it a 2 1/2 inch 90 degree elbow?  On the garbage can I was wondering what the diameter is.  I'm having problems finding steel garbage cans in my area.  I live near you (Madison) and we have mandatory recycling with required plastic garbage cans.  I'm thinking of trying a heavy duty fiber drum since those I can find in all sizes from 1 gallon - 75 gallon.  They also have a steel top that has a locking band included in the construction.  Any thoughts on using a fiber drum?

Regards,

Jon
Madison, WI

The PVC is a 2" female elbow and a 2" female coupler (for the short outlet or vortex finder tube).  These female components are intended to have a 2" PVC pipe inserted INTO them, so the actual I.D. of the parts is approx. 2-1/2".

I just checked my can and it is a Dover Parkersburg 10-gallon can (item #910) that I purchased at my local Ace hardware.  You may find this size is common for people to use with used charcoals.  Maybe check a local Ace?

The diameter of the top is 14-5/8" and it is 17-3/4" tall.

I think the fiber drum would be fine.  Plastic is a no-no as far as I'm concerned because it easily collapses and the static that is created from the circulating air causes problems w/ separation.

Pelallito

Hi Phil,
I just found your forum and love your design. I hope to make a copy for a 5 gal bucket first and later a larger can. I was left puzzled by this item-2-1/2" couble. I am unfamiliar with the term. Could you expand on that please?
Thanks.
Fred
PS Paypal will go out if I am able to makeit work.

I read your description again and figured it out. I know it as a coupling. A normal application for one is to join two pieces of PVC pipe. I will start getting the parts immediately. I think that I will get that 10 gal can instead of the 5 gal I was originally considering. Thanks again,
Fred

phil (admin)

Quote from: Pelallito on January 05, 2008, 10:38:06 AM
Hi Phil,
I just found your forum and love your design. I hope to make a copy for a 5 gal bucket first and later a larger can. I was left puzzled by this item-2-1/2" couble. I am unfamiliar with the term. Could you expand on that please?
Thanks.
Fred
PS Paypal will go out if I am able to makeit work.

I read your description again and figured it out. I know it as a coupling. A normal application for one is to join two pieces of PVC pipe. I will start getting the parts immediately. I think that I will get that 10 gal can instead of the 5 gal I was originally considering. Thanks again,
Fred

Thanks, I edited that.  It now reads:

"The PVC is a 2" female elbow and a 2" female coupler (for the short outlet or vortex finder tube).  These female components are intended to have a 2" PVC pipe inserted INTO them, so the actual I.D. of the parts is approx. 2-1/2"."

Pelallito

Phil,
Thanks for clarifying that. I was going to buy 2 1/2" elbow, and coupler which would have been too large.
Regards,
Fred