How Big Should the Canister Be?

Started by Dennis Paish, January 07, 2008, 07:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Paish

Greetings,
Excellent idea!

A picture of your design was an example of a dust collector solution for knife builders on Bladeforum.com.  I just purchased a 2hp DC @ 1300 cfm and wanted to build your cyclone lid as a pre-stage into my DC.  I want to add 4" of water on the bottom of the containment can as I am grinding metal and wood at the same time.  I plan to empty the can after every use to ensure of no fires!

Unfortunately I can not find a metal garbage can anywhere.  Will a plastic can work?

What volume or size of container is ultimate for the best performance of the cyclone?

Example a 30 gal = 20" diameter lid or a 5 gal = 11 3/4" diameter lid?

Thanks,
Dennis

phil (admin)

Metal works better than plastic (which has a tendancy to collapse or at least pucker under suction).  For 4" in/out I'd use a 30-gallon can.  I think my 30-gallon cans are approx. 20.5" diameter at the top.

Dennis Paish

Thanks Phil.
I can not find a 30 gal steel garbage can anywhere in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  Would a 16.5 gal (Height: 25"; Diameter: 17") steel garbage can work?

Dennis

phil (admin)

Quote from: Dennis Paish on January 07, 2008, 08:43:56 PM
Thanks Phil.
I can not find a 30 gal steel garbage can anywhere in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.  Would a 16.5 gal (Height: 25"; Diameter: 17") steel garbage can work?

Dennis

That would be too small for 4" in/out.

How about a steel drum?  They are used for shipping liquids and are commonly available in 50-gallon sizes, but you can also find 30-gallon and smaller.  Maybe even able to find a deal on used ones by calling a recycling facility.

Todd

Quote from: phil (admin) on January 07, 2008, 07:50:18 PM
Metal works better than plastic (which has a tendancy to collapse or at least pucker under suction).  For 4" in/out I'd use a 30-gallon can.  I think my 30-gallon cans are approx. 20.5" diameter at the top.

How about a plastic 55 gallon drums.  It used to hold soap for a carwash

phil (admin)

Quote from: Todd on January 10, 2008, 06:03:10 AM
How about a plastic 55 gallon drums.  It used to hold soap for a carwash

That would work but plastic isn't optimum due to static clinging that occurs.  But I've used it and it does work.

BTW, plastic garbage cans tend not to work, they collapse too easily.  The drums are much stiffer.