Is the 3" distance important?

Started by Garasaki, December 28, 2007, 08:30:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garasaki

Hi Phil,

Sooner or later I'm going to build one of these for myself.  I hope to be using it with a "full size" dc, not a shop vac, and in the process of modifying the dimensions for my particular situation, I'm wondering if the 3" distance between baffle and lid is important?

I feel like I understand everything else going on, and why things are placed as they are, but the 3" appears to be arbitrary, basically placed approximately flush with the bottom of the inlet elbow??

Also, have you tested the results of tilting the baffle at all?  Perhaps "downward" with the inlet elbow being the highest point?

phil (admin)

Quote from: Garasaki on December 28, 2007, 08:30:49 AM
Hi Phil,

(1) basically placed approximately flush with the bottom of the inlet elbow??

(2) Also, have you tested the results of tilting the baffle at all?  Perhaps "downward" with the inlet elbow being the highest point?

(1) Bingo.  Just minimizing the room at the top to maximize room for debris at the bottom.

(2) I've done all sorts of baffle tests, tilted, weird shapes (even using Frisbees of various sizes).  The design I've listed here is a pretty good compromise between pressure loss and separation efficiency.