News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Duct Work/ Duct size

Started by smokey5209, May 01, 2008, 05:40:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokey5209

Need more info. In my last post, I stated that I was planning to use my shop vac with a 2 1/2" hose  for my DC. My shop is only like 10X12. I have been doing alot of reading on the net about DC systems and have read about the possible fires if using PVC pipe, about the ribs in flexible hose reducing the efficiency and producing drag, and that furnace pipe is ideal but expensive.

Also most sites say to use 4, 5, 6 inch pipe up to as big as 10". I am not made of money, I am just looking for a system that works and doesn't cost a fortune.

What are the pros and cons of running 2 1/2" flexible hose?

90 degree elbows, 45 ells, or long sweep ells?

Blast gates on each run?

I appreciate your opinion.

Thank you

phil (admin)

Much of this depends on your tools.  If you have smaller tools with 2-1/2" dust ports and well thought-out dust shrouds, then a shop vac will work just fine.  And running 15-20 feet of hose w/ your shop vac is fine, too, as they have plenty of muscle to pull stuff through smaller, rubbed hose.

OTOH, if you're using big tools like a Unisaw or huge planer, then a large DC with 4 to 6" piping is what you're going to need.

Let me know a little more about the tools you have and I may be a little more helpful.

smokey5209

Phil

I appreciate your info. I have a radial arm saw, a bandsaw, and a open run that I would like to use for my 10" table saw and/or my 12" planer. I also have a disc/belt sander, 6" jointer and a lathe. The sander, jointer and lathe will probably not be attached to the system due to it being in the back of the shop and would require a run of 20 feet or so including all the curves and straight sections.

I was thinking about running 3" 26ga furnace pipe but I don't know if I can find all the fittings.
I was worried somewhat about the PVC as I read about it causing fires.

Hope this gives you a better idea what I want to accomplish.

Ed

phil (admin)

It may be difficult to server a 12" planer working on 8" and larger stock with a shop vac.  And if your table saw is a contractor or cabinet model (like a Unisaw), then a larger DC with 4" PVC pipe is going to probably be required.

PVC is absolutely safe, there is no real danger of fire or static or anything.  Maybe you'll get a static shock if you use it in winter with the heat on.  Most people don't.

I'd suggest getting a book on dust collection (there are some on Amazon and I know my Milwaukee Public Library system has some, maybe your library does, too).  For a dust collector, I'd suggest getting one of the 1-1/2 to 2-HP models with a canister filter on top.  Then add one of my baffles in the ring (to keep the filter cleaner, longer).  I don't know anyone with this setup that hasn't been very happy with it.

smokey5209

Phil

Thank you again for the info.

Ed

phil (admin)

Oh, and you'll still need to have a shop vac for smaller, hand-held tools (like sanders, routers, anything with a port smaller than about 2").  Some people have both 4" DC plumbing and separate / 2" shop vac plumbing.  Most just shove the shop vac under or next to the bench for times when they need it.