News:

SMF - Just Installed!

Main Menu

Baffle Size

Started by smokey5209, May 01, 2008, 11:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokey5209

I am planning on building a DC and using the 10 gallon can. I know what size lid to make. My question is the baffle, do I measure down 3 inches into the can and cut it for a tight fit or should it have some clearance on the sides?

Also I will using a Sears shop vac with the 2 1/2" hose. Will this size hose be sufficient for my runs? Also should I install shutoffs at each to to keep the suction dedicated to the tool that I am using?

What are your thoughts of running my hose high on the wall and use drops for each tool, versus running at the approximate height of the tools?

Sorry for all the questions.

One final question, how do I send a donation?

Thank you
Ed

phil (admin)

Quote from: smokey5209 on May 01, 2008, 11:34:25 AM
I am planning on building a DC and using the 10 gallon can. I know what size lid to make. My question is the baffle, do I measure down 3 inches into the can and cut it for a tight fit or should it have some clearance on the sides?

Also I will using a Sears shop vac with the 2 1/2" hose. Will this size hose be sufficient for my runs? Also should I install shutoffs at each to to keep the suction dedicated to the tool that I am using?

What are your thoughts of running my hose high on the wall and use drops for each tool, versus running at the approximate height of the tools?

Sorry for all the questions.

One final question, how do I send a donation?

Thank you
Ed

(1) The larger part of the baffle should be tight to the side of the can.  To accurately determine the diameter of the can at any height, I use an old telescoping antenna.  I just place it in the can at the appropriate level, and extend it to the sides of the can.  I then remove it and measure it with a rule.  You can also use two sticks held in your hand such that the ends touch the can, then remove them and measure the length.

(2) Hose isn't the best, you'll lose some suction (because it isn't smooth inside).  However, because shop vacs have so much static lift, it may not be much of a problem if your runs aren't too long.  I use all hose, but if I was running more than the 15 or so feet I have now, I'd probably replace some w/ smooth pipe (like PVC).

(3) I don't think there is any problem w/ running the hose/pipe up high with drops down to tools.

(4) Donations can be sent PayPal to phil@cgallery.com, or to Phil Thien, 3606 N. Wilson Dr., Milwaukee, WI 53211.

Sorry for the slow response, I've been struggling to get started on CAD and got a little behind.  Plus rehabbing a bathroom.