CFM Impacts of various separator technologies. Has anyone tested?

Started by dbhost, December 02, 2021, 06:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbhost

I've been using a Thien separator for years, literally well over a decade now. And only recently came across some few youtube tests / demos showing CFM drop using most notably top hat style Thien separators being more extreme compared to say the CFM drop going through a commercially built cyclone separator like a Super Dust Deputy, and ALL of the tests are on what I would call pre impeller installs.

I have seen nothing comparing to say Neutral Vanes.

Since the whole point of these builds and adds has been to improve / maintain CFM / dust collection. Has anyone been able to do actual airflow measurements when fitted with the various separator styles?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Thien separator as it is EXTREMELY effective at separation, and maintaining airflow over the long term. I am just wondering if it is the best option, and even if, are there things we can do, maybe easing corners with a router bit for example, to facilitate airflow without allowing excessive dust blowby.

dbhost

Okay no answers readily found. So I went ahead and ordered an anemometer. I will take my own measurements and do the math.  Will make a video and post the results.