Harbor freight DC doesn't suck

Started by Xray, November 11, 2015, 09:05:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xray

Which is a bad thing for a DC !

My rig is here http://www.jpthien.com/smf/index.php?topic=1181.msg6786#msg6786

Worked great for quite a while, recently its suction is getting weaker and weaker, to the point now where it is barely better than nothing. Bag is not even 1/10th full, trash can is nearly empty. Have a Wynn filter as you can see, certainly not clogged. No detectable vac leaks ,,, Thing is, I can hold my hand right up to the impeller with nothing attached and it is very weak, when I first got it I was worried it would suck my arm through.

So something is amiss, before I take it back would like to see if anyone has run into a similar problem with this unit. I noticed there is quite a bit of ait blowing down from the motor, I don't know if this is SOP or not. I remember reading a review I think on the HF site from some guy who said cracks developed around the motor housing resulting in a loss of suction, he sealed them up and all was well ... Going to try to find that review.

I did get an extended warranty on this and I have heard HF is pretty good with returns, not looking forward to lugging this in though ,,, I wonder if they'll accept just the motor and give me a new one in return, of if they'll need everything ?

tvman44

Could be a loose impeller on motor shaft.  Or call HF and ask if you can bring in just the blower unit for exchange.

Xray

wouldn't a loose impeller vibrate like crazy and make a god awful noise ?

tvman44

Might, but still worth checking.  Or just call HF.

tvman44

X Ray, what was the final verdict on the HF DC?

Bobsawface

Unplug the unit and remove the 8-10 screws holding the impeller housing dust port Inlet. There is a set screw In the middle of the impeller. Check to see if it has come loose. I believe it is an Allen key. (Metric) This malfunction is common to HF DC units. I've put locktite on mine to help avoid any dangers with the impeller coming loose. Also with the guard off. Turn the unit on to you see if the impeller is spinning. don't stick your hands anywhere near the blade when it is plugged in and on. Risk of losing fingers.  ;D.